1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery dying in my '04?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hkoslow, Mar 30, 2016.

1. hkoslow

hkoslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove into the dealer for scheduled maintenance on my 2004 with 274K miles. As I waited in my car for the service rep to write up a ticket, the brake (O) and VSC warning lights came on, and also the hybrid system warning on the display panel (red car with ! through it). I'd never seen these lights before, and the car has been driving fine. When they went to drive into the service bay, it wouldn't run so they (said) they had to push it. After 90 minutes and $100 they said it was a variety of codes that pointed to the inverter (a $4000 repair!), but they suggested these symptoms might also be caused by a failing HV battery and could check that out for $400 (!). I wanted to check here to see if this is all reasonable procedure and cost before I give OK for more work.

Since I'm the original owner, and it has the original HV battery, it's more than possible it's at end of life. But I wasn't quite ready to part with it, possibly holding out for the next plug-in model. That said, I've been getting intermittent check engine light due to catalytic converter age, and it does use about 2 qt of oil in 5000 miles. I think in just writing this, I'm convincing myself any battery repair would be throwing good money after bad. Perhaps more important, should I trust this dealership with another Prius purchase and service?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This sounds like a dishonest dealer. $400 to do what? The codes they read for $100 will tell them what the problem is.

Like you said, the most likely problem is the battery. At 274k miles, I think it's time to let go. You probably have one of the highest mileage 2004 cars still operating on the original battery.........

3. hkoslow

hkoslow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The codes were:
    P3009 high voltage power short circuit, with info codes: 526 and 612.

Dealer recommends removing hybrid battery to check for terminal corrosion - may need to replace inverter.
    Googling those codes, I found they probably indicate a battery problem, but not 100%.

I'm checking with local guys that might take this off my hands. No calls back from salvagers yet. :-( I'm starting to lean toward a dealer trade-in, but only *after* I get a firm price quote from them without the trade-in. Any other suggestions?

4. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe those codes are HV battery related. I don't have my manual with me to confirm. I'm sure others will beat me to confirmation. But at 274K on the original battery if so you did freaking Awesome!

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid