1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery effecting engine performance??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MeGuinness, May 9, 2017.

1. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi guys,so my quest in to find why my Prius as become sluggish continue...
    Can a HV battery on his way out make the engine feel like driving a slag? I'm using power mode all the time to try alleviate my pain !
    Even when the engine starts it feels like it is slow (the engine starting procedure isn't as zippy as it was when new )and i do get different humming noises depending of the charging state of the battery when not moving at idle!
    For sure some of the HV cells aren't up to the job ,i been checking them while driving with a smartphone app and i can see that 7 8 9 are the fastest to loose voltage when on EV mode , the car suddenly loose speed with a evident cogging feeling and then the engine starts.....Sluggish !!
    CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM comes up sometime too (Toyota got no idea why)
    Any suggestions appreciated before it driving me completelyinsane,thanx

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The answer is yes. I presume outside warranty? If you're using EV a lot, you're abusing the HV battery (extra wear and tear).

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When the battery soc is depleted, the car's performance is usually pretty bad. That is pretty normal. You'll have to wait until the soc recovers and the car's performance will return.

Have you checked your engine oil level lately?

SM-N900P ?

4. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Engine oil is good ,level is slightly down ,still clean after 4k from last change,200k on the clock.
    What the SOC should be ?
    Thanx

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is an ongoing battle. No warning lights? I can't recall.

6. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No warning lights...only sometimes the CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM error.
    Is there a way to stop the inverter to charge the HV ? If I stop the the charging load I may see how the engine perform.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's some maintenance modes, that prevent engine from shutting down. Not sure if they also prevent charging; they make the engine run "conventionally"? If you've got "check hybrid system" displayed I would think there's codes stored. Maybe dealership can check?

Attached Files:

8. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You realize Power Mode only changes the throttle mapping, it does not add any real power...
    When we had our 2005 Gen 2 at the end of its "life" we would experience rapid swings from Full to Empty on the SOC, but when there was good SOC, the total power was as good as ever and the average MPG was still up there. At 200K, have you ever had the engine tuned up? Spark plugs, air filter, throttle body clean, MAF clean, etc? Part of the problem might be a poorly performing ICE.