1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery Goodwill Warranty Listing - Toyota Prius USA

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wjtracy, May 24, 2015.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are hoping to log outcomes on this thread, whereas it's best to establish a separate thread for each case's detailed discussions. This is an example of a car way out of warranty, but in some similar cases there is still potential assist from Toyota, say $2000 bucks for the job. In all cases you must go to dealer for diagnosis and then ask for assist from dealer or Toyota directly.

I don't think it helps to go to CA dealer since you are way over the miles no matter how you slice it. But it always helps to go to a helpful dealer if you got one, I'd go there.

#21 wjtracy, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This seems odd that you were a service adviser and you don't know the warranty process

3. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2005 Toyota Prius @ 113,000 miles within 10 year/150,000 warranty (in service date was 7/30/05 and I was in dealership 7/24/15), but car is registered in FL (non carb state).

First dealership wanted $5300 to replace battery (and computer module). Contacted Toyota rep and rep refused warranty (car is registered in FL, even though I live part of the year in MA), and rep refused goodwill assistance.

I called 1-800-GO-TOYOTA and talked to a great customer service guy. He talked to his managers and got me $1950 (about) in goodwill assistance for the battery, but the repair would still be too high, so he said call another dealer and get a better price and call him back.

In the end, Toyota agreed to contribute about $1950 to replace the battery at the Toyota warranty rate of $2600 plus tax and labor (about 5 hours). I'll have it done next week as soon as the battery arrives (not in stock).

DobroJim and bisco like this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fantastic your OTD price looking like $1300 but update us with that data when done

5. steve k.

steve k. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Add me as well. The dealer received an OK from Toyota to proceed. I have an 2008 with 117,000. It cost me 400.00 to get a new HV battery installed . Life is good. Car runs great!!

wjtracy likes this.
  6. jpr0930

jpr0930 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great news! How long did it take for Toyota to make a decision? Just started the process yesterday (2007, 86,000 miles, a few months out of 8-year warranty) and the rep at Toyota corporate said it might take up to 3 business days to get back to me as she had to do more "research". Just curious about the actual turn around time others have experienced.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We had a successful case in Virginia last week ...took 4-5 business days including a weekend.

jpr0930 likes this.
  8. jpr0930

jpr0930 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I hope to add another data point to the list. Will update my status as things progress.

9. jpr0930

jpr0930 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Add another data point...

Just heard back from Toyota on my case. 2007 8yr/100k warranty, 7 months outside of the 8 years with 86,000 miles.

Popped codes P0A80 with a P3014 week and a half ago.

They have elected to cover $2500 of the repair, leaving me with ~$362 + tax out of pocket. Happy days friends! Thanks to all for information and suggesting to try this route first! They certainly did not owe me anything, but cited being just outside of the year portion of the warranty, being well under the mileage portion and loyalty (we own a Highlander as well, 2nd owners on both cars btw).

Will update with final outcome when its all complete.

usnavystgc, Shane Burns and wjtracy like this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Had another case in VA last week I will add later

11. jpr0930

jpr0930 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to update my data point, final otd price for the new battery was $265. Toyota said they would cover $2500. Service advisor said the battery was $2300, so looks like I paid a portion of the labor and tax part of the bill. Gotta say, it took 2 weeks due to the holiday, but man it was worth it.

Thanks again all!

wjtracy likes this.
  12. Cooker

Cooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an 07 with 261k miles and Toyota was not willing to help out with the cost of the replacement. I was told it was due to the mileage and not necessarily the age of the car.

I am not upset as I was not expecting much. The offer of a little assistance would have been nice though.

Still not sure how I am going to get the car back on the road.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about that. I'll have to see if we have any other high miles cases. Thought you might be able to get $2000. One of our Prius Chat battery shops in TX installs OEM batt for $2200.

14. Cooker

Cooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I realized the miles were not in my favor. I tried to see if they would offer me one for $2000. I specifically asked if I could get it for the wholesale/shop price of $2000 vs. the retail price of $2588. She said that is something I could ask my dealer about.

15. Scojon

Scojon New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ---2007 2nd Gen., 103,800 miles. Currently @ 35mpg.

FEB15: - had trans fluid serviced at dealer. Asked them to check HV battery as mileage continued to decrease (38mpg). They said the battery was fine.

JAN16: - Red Triangle, checked code "Replace hybrid battery, CONFIRMED".

Dealer said to ask Toyota Customer Care for assistance.

Spoke with Shirley, then Deshaun at the 800-331-4331 number.

"Sorry, nothing we can do. You are past Warranty."

A whee bit disappointed. Adding $4000 to the cost of my Prius makes it not so cost effective. We are about to buy a new RAV4 and I'm not feeling very good about the whole 'give more money to Toyota' thing.

Any hints on a second try with Toyota Customer Care would be greatly appreciated.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can keep trying, I would plan to go elsewhere and at least have a competing quote. Are you orig owner? Maybe call Boulder Hybrid conversions for ideas. There is a change as of 1-Jan Toyota is offering 3-yr warranty on the the batt I don't know if that could signal a change in approach. Your case seems reasonably close to warranty deadline. Maybe start a thread as we want to keep this one on outcomes...right now your outcome is negative. If buying a new Toyota,some have used that as bargaining chip. That assumes you have a disposition for used 2007 with a new batt. In that case the dealer might go to bat for you.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would suggest you ask the dealer service manager to ask Toyota for assistance. The dealership asking will probably get better results for you. With a 2007 and only 103k miles, there shouldn't be any reason why Corporate Toyota won't help out. Just ask the dealer to call it in for you (since you are a customer of the dealer, that's a service they can do for you)

m.wynn and wjtracy like this.
  18. JohnDNichols

JohnDNichols Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for the very helpful information (as always). We have a 2007 Prius with 141,000 mi that is showing the PA080 code. I am planning to call Toyota corporate this week but have a question before I do: do you think it would help or hurt my chances if I tell them we had a previous problem with the battery at 111,000 miles in July 2014? At the time, we were only dealing with codes P3000 and P3016, which we were able to fix by replacing the problem cell (#6) and rebalancing the battery. I'm not sure whether this would be viewed as a positive (i.e. we had a documented problem much earlier in the car's life that we fixed with our own funds) or a negative (i.e. we should have used Toyota OEM parts and gone to a Toyota dealer at the time of the original problem).

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    do not know. you have to go to dealer first to get the code read.

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that, having opened up the HV battery case and swapped out one or more modules, you have invalidated your warranty. It will make no difference whether you tell them up front, as the old battery will be inspected and checked to ensure it has not been tampered with.

You should have dealt with Toyota when the initial problem occurred. Not sure what the warranty status in NC would have been back then, but you would have had a better shot back then rather than now.

I hope I'm wrong.

#40 dolj, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016