1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery Goodwill Warranty Listing - Toyota Prius USA

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wjtracy, May 24, 2015.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is a bizzare offer.
    A new battery is going to last waaayyyy longer than a remanufactured one.
    No way that used one is going to last longer than a new one.

2. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The hybrid battery would be covered for next 3 years but it will suck when it fails after that. I would ask the dealership again for the warranty info and get it in writing. My local dealership said the warranty on a new hybrid battery installed by them is 3 years.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes confusing I feel like we've lost track of options Toyota is offering and warranty times.

4. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wow that's awesome story. My hybrid battery I believe is dying out but haven't done the diagnosic waiting until my appointment (May 30)since that's the earliest appointment I could get. I recently notice that my 07 Prius with 108,000 was first in service on
    April 17,2007 by the first owner. So I'm alittle out of the warranty qualifications. Hopefully I can full something you did. Do you have any advice on how to go about it ??.

Thank you, once again for sharing this. Makes not only me but many of us have faith in our Prius's...

bisco likes this.
  5. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Are there any cases where Toyota gave "Good Will assistance" to a customer that don't have any history with them.

Considering this is my first vehicle (07 Toyota Prius w/ 108,000 miles) do anyone think I can use that as a way to get "Good Will" ?

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It can help if the car itself has a Toyota service history, and whether your intention is to keep going with that, but yeah, it does make it a bit more difficult. There have been similar cases and the offer is usually contribution of some kind towards the cost. That is still better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

bkcriz20 likes this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Needless to say, we never have the complete story here, but I have been in general amazed.
    I would say chances are good in a CARB state close to warranty.
    Once you get well over warranty then perhaps service history and # of toyotas owned matter re: $ize of help.

8. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I'm off by a month from getting warranty. I received codes P0A80 and P03017.

The dealership didn't want to give me assistance and then I went outside the dealership called Toyota directly and they didn't want me to give me assistance.

I have an 07 Prius with 108,840 miles. I only had the car for alittle over a year (I'm the second owner). I had the warranty for 10yr/150,000 miles and since the car was first used on April 14, 2007 I'm not longer available for warranty. So I'm stuck with $3471.65. Don't know what to do now.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm too bad not sure...I am confused if Toyota has a cheaper refurb batt option these days.
    You can try again as persistence seems to help. Sometimes change to top notch dealership for the service.

10. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Has there been cases with Prius owners that didn't have history in a Toyora dealership and asking for GoodWill and was granted by Toyota HQ ???

All I've read was owners that pervious had work done at the dealership or had some sort of history with Toyota in general. Anyone out there just walked in a dealership with a dead Hybrid battery and dealership deny any GoodWill but you called Toyota HQ and they gave you som GoodWill ????

Next some confidence for my cases since I was denied yesterday both from the dealer and Toyota HQ.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think there are set criterias for a goodwill warranty. It really depends on the person you speak with and how they are feeling for that day. If they are feeling generous, you would get it.

I'm sure they have guidelines to follow but they are in charge with who they offer it to and who they deny.

12. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So you had history with your dealership, Correct?. Im out of warranty by 1 month and I'm at 108K no where close to 150k but I don't have any history with Toyota and I was denied by both dealership and Toyota HQ. Trying to think what to do next

13. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So how many years of warranty do a NEW Hybrid battery has when you replace it from a Toyota dealership?.

I just replace my Hybrid battery and I was told that I have only a 1 year warranty on it because all parts from Toyota carry an 1 year warranty. Is this TRUE?.

I live in NY, Queens, can it be that the service employe don't know actual information. I try looking at the receipt if it say in details about the warranty which it don't say much.

Attached Files:

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is 3 years, and a simple call to Toyota Corporate should sort it out.

You got a good price there, even before the goodwill contribution.

15. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Im not questioning anything your saying, but even if I was told from an employee from a Toyota Dealership, I still have a 3 year warranty on this New Battery?.

How can I really found out if the Toyota Dealership did replace my old battery for a new battery?.

Im asking all of these questions because after I was told by the dealership that I couldn't get any discount on a new battery because I was 1 month off from the warranty. I then called Toyota Headquarter myself and somehow Toyota Headquarter gave me $1,000 in GoodWill. When I came in for my replacement, I was treated like crap. The manager didn't recognized me or didn't even say one word through the 5 hours it took to replace my battery which I know it took 3 hours because I was charge for 3 hours worth of labor. After waiting for 5 hours, I then asked a service employee about the progress of the repair and he told me "i told you it will be done in the afternoon'. Mind you I came in at 9:45am and it was already 3pm and this dealership closes at 5pm. So how long did it really take?. lololol. At this point, I'm never coming back to this dealership. I know they were mad that I went to Toyota HQ for Goodwill.

#115 bkcriz20, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good for you, i wouldn't go near the place either, that's ridiculous. although most parts get a one year warranty, toyota upped the battery to 3 years, because in california, they also offer a rebuilt battery that gets one year.

17. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So this 3 year warranty on a new battery is also for New York ?

18. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    UPDATE:

After the diagnostic (5/30/17) show that I need a new Hybrid battery, QueensBoro Toyota gave me a final total of $3472 for a new Hybrid battery, labor and tax. Mind you all, I'm a New to owning a car, I don't have any history with Toyota or this dealership.

During this appointment, was notify by the service employee that my warranty ran out 1MONTH AGO and they couldn't offer me any discount. As soon I was denied for a discount, I walked outside of the dealership and called Toyota HQ to see if I can receive some "GoodWill assistance". At this point, Toyota HQ also denied me for reasons unknown. So I decided to just pay for the diagnostic and see what other options I had.

The following morning (5/31/17) I decided to ask my brother inlaw (the car is registered under his name) to give a shot at calling Toyota HQ himself. In about 20 minutes after he called Toyota, my brother inlaw called me and told me "we have a case number and they will call use back within 2 business days." I don't know why Toyota gave my brother inlaw a different response.

On the morning of 6/5/17, my brother inlaw called Toyota HQ and we received a discount for $1000 for GoodWill by Toyota HQ, which the total came out to $2472 for the new battery, labor and tax. Toyota HQ told my brother inlaw we needed to call the service manager to make an appointment for a New Hybrid battery.

This is when it started to become weird and very unprofessional by QueensBoro Toyota dealership service department.

My brother inlaw called the service manager twice (6/5/17 and 6/6/17) and left 2 voicemails. The service manager never responded back and so I decided to make a regular appointment as if I was coming in for a maintenance. This appointment was set for 6/12/17. Now I had to wait a week to replace my Hybrid battery.

On 6/11/17, my brother inlaw called the service manager for the third time and finally receive a response by the service manager. He told my brother inlaw that he notice that Toyota HQ gave us GoodWill of $1000 and he notice that we already had an appointment (6/12/17) but for some reason he told my brother inlaw that the total cost would be $2730. Now this is when my brother inlaw ask why the difference between $2472 that was $1000 discounted of GoodWill from the total cost of $3472 (new battery, labor and tax) and the $2730. The service manager started to give my brother inlaw of bunch of useless information that the end my brother inlaw was very frustrated and accepted the final cost of $2730. My brother inlaw told me that Toyota HQ gave us a total of $2472 but without including the labor and tax according to the service manager. It was bull*** because the QueensBoro Toyota dealership gave me the total with battery, labor and tax of $3472. So why the difference?. I have no clue but I accepted the fact that I'll pay $2730.

The following day (6/13/17), I came in for my 9:45am appointment and I was told by a service employee that the repair will be done in the afternoon. Mind you, I notice the service manager walking around the dealership and not once did he look nor say anything to me (VERY UNPROFESSIONAL).

So since I didn't have anything to do, I just decided to hang around the neighborhood and wait until the repair was finished thinking that it will take at least an hour or two. I was wrong, I waited about 6 hours (it was 3pm). That's when I decided to ask one of the service employee about the progress of the repair. This is when the service employee gave a nasty response and told me "well I said the afternoon". Then I responded "its the afternoon and your service department closes at 5pm." This is when another service employee said "ooo I have your paperwork right here". Now I'm not stupid, I know that the repair was done hours ago but they just wanted me to wait longer (I notice on the receipt I was charge for 3 labor hours).lolololol.

As one of the service employees was filling my paperwork out (the one that denied me a discount during the diagnostic appointment), he notice that I was the same guy that came in for the diagnostic on 5/30/17. As he was filling out my paperwork he told me "remember when I told you to call Toyota HQ for GoodWill". I started laughing and said "sure you did". I called Toyota HQ myself and I found out the information on here by other Prius lovers.

At the end, they try to raise the final total again to $2930 because they didn't add tax but this is when I told them "listen my brother inlaw spoke to your service manager (he was right next to us) and he told us it would be $2730 with labor and tax, im not paying a cent more." Then the service employee said "oooo right right". So the final cost was $2730 and a 1 year warranty (told by the service employee.) Which I'm trying to find hardcore evidence if it's really a 1 year or 3 year warranty for a brand new hybrid battery from a Toyota dealership.

I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted everyone to see how I was treated. Throughout this experience, the service manager never apologize for not responding to my brother inlaw voicemails and he never looked nor say anything to me at the dealership. I know they were mad that I went to Toyota HQ for GoodWill after they denied me any discount just because I was 1 month off from warranty. I hope this post will help others for the future when their battery die and have to visit a Toyota dealership.

I STILL LOVE MY PRIUS but I will definitely go to another Toyota dealership in the future.

**Does anyone has information about the warranty on a brand new hybrid battery?. Did the service employee gave me the worng information about the warranty?. Is it really a 1 year warranty on the new hybrid battery?.

Thank you all for all the information. It helped to get my Prius back on the road.

bisco likes this.
  19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See post #114.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great write up. i would have demanded the $2,472. but as for the warranty, dolj is right, you'll have to call hq. and even they might be confused, so keep pressing until you get the right answer.