1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery health check

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Team_Geek, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry if this has been asked before. I’ve been searching around the forum but haven’t seen what I’m looking for.
    I took out the traction battery on my 2010 because there was a family of mice living in the car at some point in history and the vents for the battery were partially plugged with mouse nest. Ick.
    Since I have the battery out I figured I’d clean all the corrosion off the bus bars since they looked pretty bad.
    What other things can/should I check on the battery or individual cells to make sure they are all in good health? No dash lights on the car but it has 175k miles and not sure on history of battery. I’m thinking it isn’t original as most (but not all) of the cells have a black marker line on the positive side of the battery. Resting voltages are all within 0.02 V but that isn’t really a great test for anything other than making a straight line in Excel..
    It’s not hard to get battery out of the car but would rather do everything once and be done with it for a while.

Thanks!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Put it in and try a load test with the Dr Prius app. Other than that, you have done most reasonable things. Be sure the battery fan intake is clean as is the blower wheel. Don't let the car sit idle for more than a week and don't use it to camp or allow long wait times in Ready. Hope for another year while saving for a new set of cells or a new oem battery in the $2k range.

3. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ran across this to decide the date battery was born - HV Battery Date Code | PriusChat

My battery codes are starting 212L so Feb 21, 2010 manufacturer date.

I’m not really sure what ‘normal’ feels like on a Prius as this is my first one, but at least I know I’ve got the original pack still in the car (or rather, on the bench next to the car).

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's more about mpg than 'feel'