1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery leaking cells?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by steve k., Nov 3, 2015.

1. steve k.

steve k. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Prius Fans,

I removed the HV battery from my 2008 Prius. It has 117,000 miles and show all the signs of a bad battery , red triangle et cetera... Upon removing the case I noticed signs of leaking cells and some corrosion that you see on a 12 volt battery. I am including a few pics to get some advice, like should I just get a Dorman reman. battery or change what could possibly be many bad cells? Also when purchasing a reman battery do you have to switch any electronics? Thanks, Steve Leak1[1].jpg Leak2[2].jpg Thanks Steve.

Sean2005Gen2CA likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! judging by your post, i'd say your a candidate for a doorman. it's plug n play. the important thing is to have a local supplier so you can pick up a warranty without a lot of trouble if needed.

otoh, you got your battery out, so if you really want to save some money and have the time, read through the rebuilding threads here and get a mini vci. all the best!(y)

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you out of warranty?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    az is not carb.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes Toyota has been quite helpful sharing costs in cases like this. We have not had too many 2008 batts fail yet, so this is a little early. I don't know if taking the batt out reduces the chances Toyota might help. But you'd have to put it back in and get the dealer to verify dead batt and go thru the process of contacting Toyota. Takes time and outcome not certain. We tend to like genuine Toyota new batts the best, as the rebuilds tend to fail. Yes I know it is guaranteed but that just means you are in the dead batt boat again.

#5 wjtracy, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ...potentially something toyota would help with. give them a call, and ask if they can help with a new battery.

7. steve k.

steve k. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Guys, I am thinking I will call Toyota and see if they can help, if possible. Napa Auto Parts can get me a Dorman for just under 1400.00 , with a 950.00 core charge. I will let you guys know. My taking the pack apart I feel will show damaged cells, I don't want to keep my rental car for too much longer though.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With Toyota helping out, $1400 will probably get you a, New Toyota battery

9. steve k.

steve k. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will definitely call Toyota today. Wish me luck folks!

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A master warning red triangle by itself is not indicative of a failed traction battery. What does "et cetera" mean - what other warning lights or drivability symptoms are present?

Before spending four-digits, you really should retrieve the DTC so that you know what is wrong with your car. Get Mini VCI.

You would have to move the system main relays and the traction battery ECU from the original to the new battery enclosure, if you buy a new battery from Toyota. This is not required for a reman.

Even if Toyota will not help you, call your local dealers to see what you can buy a new traction battery for, and press for a discount. The incremental cost over the Dorman may be well worth the added service life of the new battery.

#10 Patrick Wong, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    strawbrad and m.wynn like this.
  11. steve k.

steve k. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Patrick,
    I have code C3010, C2318, C1300, Airbag system warning also which dealer did not give me the code for. The mechanic reset the codes and I was able to drive away. Twelve miles later all the lights came on Red Triangle, VSC, red car warning on display, all the warning lights which escape my memory at the moment. The corrosion at the bottom of the cells are certainly concerning, no matter what codes I am seeing. Would you agree? I am hesistant to separate the cells. The Mini VCI is on its' way.

The car would run and was able to drive for a while, then the red triangle would come on. After turning car off, it would not start until I cleared the codes with the ODBII code reader.

#11 steve k., Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a thread on the goodwill warranty process:
    HV Battery Goodwill Warranty Listing - Toyota Prius USA | PriusChat

But so far that was for the whole job of batt replacement not just the battery.

I was just thinking what's strange is we are not hearing batt failure cases from PriusChat users lately, whereas it seems like in the spring they were dropping like flies and I was trying to capture the case histories.

13. steve k.

steve k. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope I can add to your thread in a positive note, that Toyota helped out.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC C1300 means a skid control ECU failure.
    DTC C2318 is a low voltage error (the most likely issue is a marginal 12V battery)
    I do not believe that DTC C3010 is a valid code.

Yes, it is reasonable to clean off the corrosion on the high voltage traction battery regardless of the other issues the car may have.

I suggest you take a sharp photo of the warning lights. Also look for a warning icon or message on the MFD. Each one has a specific meaning.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what about the leaking cells?

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depends upon the rate of electrolyte leakage, whether that is causing a ground fault, etc.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you pat, i didn't realize there was an acceptable amount.

18. steve k.

steve k. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I meant code C1310. I have the car at the dealer now. I also started a case with Toyota Corporation. If the dealer agrees that the HV battery is on the fritz , I may get some help with the price of replacement.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you car spend a lot of time parked in the az sun?

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well - "acceptable" is a subjective concept. If a tiny amount of electrolyte is leaking out of one module and it will take another two years for the seepage to touch the battery enclosure and cause a ground fault, I don't know if it is reasonable for the OP to pay four-digits for a replacement battery right now.

DTC C1310 is posted by the skid control ECU and means the hybrid drivetrain has a problem. However C1300 means the skid control ECU has failed, so who knows whether C1310 is legitimate. The Mini VCI would help to see what DTC if any are posted by the hybrid vehicle ECU and traction battery ECU.

Since the car is at the dealership now, let's see what the mechanic has to say.