1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hv battery question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by donzoh1, Jan 18, 2021.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Got the red triangle of death today but it went away on its own. my tech stream was messed up and wasn’t communicating. Anyway, the stereo was cutting out intermittently and I'd had the car on sitting idle for a bit so I figured it was likely the traction battery. I'm still planning to check with Dr. Prius to see about battery cell issues. When driving at highway speed, it will light up all but 1 of the battery cell marks on the energy display.

Meanwhile, I went to the junkyard and found a Gen 3 although I don't know the mileage on the battery. I did see some corrosion on maybe 9 or so small terminal nuts. This car is recently in the inventory (maybe a month or so) and has very minor collision damage so I'm thinking it may have been sitting for awhile. I removed the safety plug and the battery cover to measure voltage. I didn't remove the terminal nuts but did try to measure voltage between positive and negative terminals on several individual batteries. These all measured near zero. Does that mean it's been sitting forever or would I need to remove the small terminal nuts to measure voltage? Is the battery likely hopeless or could it be reconditioned?

C Wagner likes this.
  2. C Wagner

C Wagner Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe they are is some small way, but Gen 3 modules can be placed quite satisfactorily into a Gen 2 case.

4. C Wagner

C Wagner Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They work great in a g2.

yes all those modules are likely dead from sitting. They probably can be resurrected but it all depends how much for the battery and are you ready to become a full blown battery reconditioner which includes all the equipment,
    Tools, good electronics background, place to do it and the time.
    And be a gambler because some of the cells may be sketchy.

my formula for projects like this has proved flawless:

takes more $ Than I thought.

more difficult Than I thought

more physical than I thought

and a lot longer than I thought

lol.....

and good luck.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.