1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hv battery quick discharge & hestitation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Siber Pir8, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Siber Pir8

Siber Pir8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I had a battery swapped and after 1 year or so the battery discharges quickly if left for a few hours on initial drive, with the car becoming poor in acceleration and the battery going down to 1 bar. After a few miles it charges up and the acceleration is fine. But if I am in traffic it does discharge to 1 bar again after 20 mins or so.
    It did discharge quite quickly when I first had it swapped. But it seems to be getting worse.
    There are no eml's on the dash or red triangle.
    I was looking at a grid charger by a company called hybrid automotive. Would this help at all?
    Thanks
    Simon

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, but that's what almost always happens with rebuilt batteries. I think yours lasted longer than many others I've heard of here.

The Prolong grid charger will probably get you running better. It's actually designed for your situation (bad performance, but not an actual trouble code yet). In fact, if the rebuilder had used one after replacing the modules in that battery, perhaps you wouldn't be in this situation. Either way, the Prolong does prolong the life of the battery. So, no guarantees, but the odds are in your favor. Did you ask @jeff652? He's about as honest and knowledgeable as they come.

Options with an '06 are kind of a personal choice. Do you invest in trying to resurrect the battery? Do you invest more money in a new battery? Or do you replace the whole car in anticipation of other repairs that may come up before long?

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually the reconditioning system with the charger & discharger would do a better job than just the charger.

@jeff652 the designer & owner is a member here and posts when he has a spare moment. Many other here, liike @Raytheeagle have used the system with much success.

4. Siber Pir8

Siber Pir8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, thanks for your opinion guys. I'll try the grid charger first as I may be able to get work to pay for it. Then see what happens, I'll contact the 2 guys you mentioned... If they don't reply beforehand!

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

I have used the Prolong equipment successfully and have helped other members do the same;).

If you are the DIY type and have the ability, the Prolong can help:).

Some questions:

• How many miles on your Prius?
    • How long have you owned it?
    • How long do you want to keep it?
    Keep us posted (y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Siber Pir8

Siber Pir8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has 127,000 miles, I have had it for just over a year and I want it to last for as long as possible really.
    I am a vehicle technician, but my experience with hybrids is limited, the fitting instructions look straight forward, but it's the the discharging instructions and guidance that wasn't too clear. A how to video would Be good, but I'll have another read as it was late.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can pry loose enough pounds, get the automatic discharger along with the charger. The manual discharge system works, but requires a lot of diligent babysitting.

srellim234 and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With the Intelligent Discharger all you do is pick the discharging voltage and you’re good;).

If you can install the harness, you’ve got the discharge no problem :).

Keep us posted (y).

srellim234 likes this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    IMO, once a battery is having issues, the benefits of grid charging diminish. They are a MUCH better value/solution for older but still good batteries when reconditioning makes more sense/cents for helping with longevity (2010-2013 GEN 3 owners stop procrastinating!!!!!).

An 06 with 127k miles still has a lot of miles left in it so if the OP truly wants several years of reliable safe operation, get a new (not rebuilt) battery. If you want to tinker........ see the link in my signature to see what I did when confronted with the dreaded P0a80 code.

exstudent likes this.
  10. Siber Pir8

Siber Pir8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it the prolong deluxe reconditioning package?

11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes.

srellim234 likes this.
  12. Siber Pir8

Siber Pir8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, just a quick update. I have ordered the reconditioning package from Jeff, with the intelligent discharger.
    But something very freaky has happened. I think my car is Christine from the Stephen King movie!
    I had to top up the engine oil as the triangle came on going around sharp, long corners. Its due a service so I just topped it up. Since then the battery has been perfect! It hasn't gone below half way, it hasn't drained over night, It doesn't hesitate on first setting off! Does my car know I have ordered this battery charger, Is my car alive? or did it have anything to do with topping the oil up?

13. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That doesn't sound reassuring. You work on cars, yet you allowed your own vehicle's engine oil to run that low, allowing for metal on metal wear.

Are you not aware that engines will burn and possibly leak oil over time? Was this not in your training?

Do you not believe in the practice of checking the vehicles fluids with some frequency? Doing so, you would have caught the engine oil level not being at the FULL mark.

valde3 and Prodigyplace like this.
  14. Siber Pir8

Siber Pir8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am aware of that fact, thanks for pointing that out, I don't need a lecture mate, but due to time constraints etc I didn't get chance. I just wanted to point out that since topping up my oil, my battery has improved and I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a link.