1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery Rebuild - Cell Capacity and Balancing Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kenneth Steere, Apr 25, 2014.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    125F is 52C which definitely sounds too high. If I recall correctly the battery fan comes on low at about 36C and should be running pretty high by about 45C.

Doesn't having the cover off the battery effect the cooling and air flow?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    52C is indeed high for standard running around town or flat highway use. Not so many mountains in Texas.

I have seen ~50C in some circumstances, once due to my forgetting to discharge the batteries a bit after parking with all green bars from a long downhill run. I came back and the car was hot inside! However, I still could not hear the battery fan come on from the driver's seat, even though I know if I put my ear up to it, the sound is quite audible.

And yes, I would think the battery cover off means less air flow rather than more.

The rebalancer threads seem to try for very good capacity matching. But I would be more concerned about internal resistance readings. Have you checked those out across the pack?

uart likes this.
  3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info nh70.

I wonder what temperature is required before the fan comes on at high speed (where it's clearly audible). Member 2009prius logged battery temperature and fan voltage and showed the fan comes on at low speed at around 35 or 36 degrees C.

BTW, I also made the mistake one time of parking in the hot sun after a long decent with the SOC at full 8 green bars. When I parked the car the fan was not audibly running (so probably running on low speed), but when I returned one hour later the fan came on at really high speed the instant that I powered on. It even had some sort of driveability issues for the next 10 to 15 minutes after that event. No doubt this was fairly hard on the battery and I've since tried to avoid doing it again.

4. Kenneth Steere

Kenneth Steere New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPDATE : VERY stable now and performing well. (with cover back on pack for proper ventilation)
    Temps in the pack have been staying under 110 most of the time with the ventilation working well. (day using AC)
    I do have some newer cells in use and have about a .3-.6V differential from highest to lowest bank.
    All but 2 of the original cells have been replaced. The old cells, even though conditioned, couldn't keep up with the newer cells I kept introducing, causing some overheating in the process...sigh

Things I've learned from this process:

1. Cells that already have over 120,000 miles in the Texas heat, should most ALL be replaced.
    (It's not worth spending much time on them after that much use)
    2. Make sure you use good tested cells and match the capacities for the WHOLE pack as well as the banks.
    (I thought I could use a shortcut here, and that didn't work)
    3. Blowout and clean the ventilation assembly to assure proper airflow and cooling.

There are many more things I learned from this but those are some main points. :)

ericbecky and nh7o like this.
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ken,
    Thank you so much for reporting back with an update and summarizing some of the "lessons learned".
    Hopefully this will help others in their decision whether to rebuild and how to go about it.

Kenneth Steere likes this.
  6. Kenneth Steere

Kenneth Steere New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Eric,

I am still having a problem determining if my pack is getting overheated or not.
    I'm using 6 or so GEN 3 cells mixed with good GEN 2. The 3's are paired with 3's and the 2's with each other.
    The GEN 3 Cells are ALWAYS .3-.6V higher than the GEN2.
    Over some time driving, I notice that the GEN3 cells are running 3F higher than the GEN 2's.
    Today driving in 85F heat with the A/C in stop and go the pack got up to 118F in the center. (sensor reading)
    I feel like on a real hot day at 100 it would overheat for sure.
    I have looked everywhere and I can't find out what the temp range is suppose to be for the pack.
    In my opinion, anything over 120F will seriously degrade the battery performance.
    Should I get rid of any GEN 3 cells and what is the expected bat temp range (when using A/C on hot days)?
    Thanks.
    Ken

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would not mix dissimilar cells in a pack. Even in temperate climates it may cause issues.
    I don't have temp numbers handy, but if you have the ability to have similar modules, I would deal with that first.

XT1049 ?

Kenneth Steere likes this.
  8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just to add a few numbers to the data: I was out today, and saw a peak battery temp of 49C, with a battery air duct inlet temp of probably ~24C, and the battery fan was bouncing around 8-9 volts, inaudible from the driver seat. At another time the batteries were at 43C, and I turned off A/C, windows down, so the air inlet was a bit warmer. Fan voltage never went above 9V. For those who have the battery overheating/ noisy cooling fan experience, I would guess they are seeing temps well above this.

cosminman likes this.