1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery Recondition/balancing: real-world longevity experiences?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hearsay, Jul 28, 2018.

1. hearsay

hearsay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I get closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a Prolong battery charger purchase, I'm wondering how long this can really prolong my HV battery? Yes yes, of course all batteries are different. In general, I know that most blocks in my battery have similar voltages with no more than a delta of .2 between them according to Hybrid Assistant load testing. One block is notably low at startup, and one or more of those modules may need to be replaced or reshuffled. In theory if I am able to swap out any funky modules with eBay replacements, match voltages, rebalance, charge, etc, do ya'll think that the HV battery could last for another 100k miles? Once you begin down the road of replacing modules, is it an annual game, or can this battery likely last another 5 yrs with rebalancing via Prolong every 6 months? Our prius has 208k right now, and I'm determined to get it to 300k...

Any long-term reconditioning experience around here? I've seen loads of wonderful threads on here outlining the module swap experience and showing the failures of commercially remanufactured packs.

I've also tossed around the idea of starting a small battery reconditioning business here in southern NM to get the most out of my Prolong charger and help out our community that is chock full of Gen II Prii. However, if this type of work is a quick fix that doesn't last for more than 18 months, I'd be a bit reluctant to take people/customers for that ride.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ve installed the setup on our 2010 now with 184 k miles on it and going strong:).

We also own a 2017 Lexus RX450h and I can compare what our reconditioning of the Prius looks like and it compares favorably;).

As of tomorrow, I will be sharing te charger and Intelligent Discharger with 2 other members in the Bay Area, which helps in cost reduction :).

Even if you had a failed module, I’ve participated in 2 successful pack rebuilds with the Prolong equipment and that’s what I will do if it gets to that point ;).

Hope that helps with your decision (y).

QueenBritt and SFO like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing wrong with creating community, and you should (y)

Though you might want to error on the side of caution here, unless you're only offering a leasing/balancing service (with or without the harness installed).

There are many factors that play into how an aging HV battery behaves, and battery balancing might be further down on that list :cautious:

If you're practicing the 30 feet or 30 seconds warranty, you might be fine o_O

Maybe a couple of the hobbyist/pros will chime in with more insight :whistle:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My battery display was showing rapid fluctuations and draining quickly on startup early last year but hadn't thrown a code yet when I started using the Prolong system June 2017. Since then the battery display has been much more stable. One year is not long term but that's where mine is at. I'm pretty sure that without the Prolong system it would have thrown a code by now.

Without having a magical crystal ball that tells us when the battery would have died anyway it's going to be impossible to quantify how much time the system will add to battery life.