1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery refurb: can someone interpret my collected data?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cory Potrafka, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Cory Potrafka

Cory Potrafka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello, I am in the process of refurbing my HV battery by replacing bad modules. I have done this repair 3 times before but had significant online guidance by someone far more knowledgeable than I. I have collected data in the same manner as before, it is mostly complete but some mistakes were made and some data is missing. However, I did 3 charge/discharge cycles and read the voltage of each module at specific intervals during each discharge. So I have three sheets of data from that. Additionally, after the final charge (a slow, module balancing trickle charge) I tested each module with a watt meter/power analyzer as I discharged each module to 6v with a 20 amp load. This analyzer's data actually means the least to me because I don't really understand the significance of all the data parameters, but it seems like it would be the most valuable data to someone who understood it.

I asked this question, previously, at the end of a mistitled post I had started a while ago but it seems the mistitle is effecting its reach. It was suggested there, by the only responder, to replace some modules that I felt were the strongest and skipped ones I felt were the weakest. I appreciate any and all help and advice but I guess I am looking for second and third opinions. What this person did was look only at the last row of data, data taken when the battery is far more drained than the Prius will actually ever let it get (134v), and chose the 5 lowest values. Well most of these were displaying the highest values when the readings were taken at and above 185v (entire pack). I admit to not understanding battery technology very much, but I had modules that dropped well below the others right off the bat and then stayed kinda steady after that, so that by the end they no longer appeared the weakest.

An example: Techstream informed me of a weak battery block #6, meaning modules 11 and 12. Looking at only my first sheet of data, we have module #11 dropping to 5.97v while all the other modules are reading 7.1 or higher (seems like the cause of my battery failure). This is while the whole pack is at 202v (I believe within operating range in the Prius). Meanwhile #12 is holding strong near the top voltage range of all the modules. Well the next three readings have #11 dropping no more than 0.4v total while most other modules drain at a more steady pace. I guess what I am saying is that the modules that were the weakest by the end of the discharge are actually the strongest while the pack is within the Prius' operating range. It seems counter intuitive to replace those. Meanwhile #11 looks to me to be the obvious bad module, the one causing my current failure, and it was suggested to keep this one in the pack! Am I that far off in my understanding, or is somebody else?! Below are the 4 sheets of collected data, I would appreciate it so much if someone looked them over and advise me on which modules to replace.

A second quick question, I have 28 old modules that have sat in a cardboard box for 3 years (replaced all modules in a different pack 3 years ago and kept the old ones). I pulled them out to see if any are usable. I pulled out a handful that gave me the strongest reading on my voltmeter. they range from 6.34 to 6.8. Any chance these will be good when charged up and balanced with my current pack (they were put away fully charged I'm pretty sure), or do these voltage readings already indicate bad module?

Thanks in advance
    -Cory

1stDischarge.jpg

2ndDischarge.jpg

3rdDischarge.jpg

BatteryAnalyzerResults.jpg

#1 Cory Potrafka, Mar 15, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  2. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From data you collected I see clearly that pack 11 is actually dead, 21 very weak. Change them, balance-charge whole battery with 100mA current to equalize them, instal in the car and using Dr.Prius app or torque with prius codes installed collect battery data during driving.

ydpplqbd and Cory Potrafka like this.
  3. Cory Potrafka

Cory Potrafka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! I think what happened is the other fellow posting advice did not notice at what point these lowest readings were taken and probably assumed they were all within the operating range.

Do you think my three-years-sitting-unused modules have a chance at being usable? Also #27 data looks fine in the discharge readings, but after all that I messed up and accidently discharged it to 3v, instead of 6v, with a 20 amp load (during the analyzer procedure). I have read that if you go much beyond 6v with that heavy a load you can quickly ruin it and I went quite a bit beyond (multitasking skills were not up to par toward the end of this marathon). A few others were overshot as well but only missed by seconds, #27 was forgotten about for several minutes beyond 6v I feel like I should just go ahead and replace that one as well, agree?

4. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Voltage reading itself can be misleading, when analysing voltages you need take initial SOC, actual capacity and module temperature (for low current it can be ignored) into account.
    3 years is quite a lot of time I've lost 2 good batteries for gen1 after 2 years, gen2 cells maybe are better in this case. I see nothing against fitting them, in worst case you will have to replace them again. Most important thing is to balance charging them for about 2 - 3 days, let it rest and next day check voltages, anything out of line will be bad.
    Going under 6V is bad thing, all is about time and if immediately it is recharged with low current ensuring it doesn't overheat. Don't panic most likely few minutes doesn't kill it.