1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery Repair Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by supertrooper808, Nov 14, 2018.

1. supertrooper808

supertrooper808 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My friend got a free Prius. I am attaching the tech stream data I got of the vehicle and it was a first a p3000 now a P0A80 shows up. Specifically it says Block #5 is weak. I don't know how to rebalance if I buy just one cell so was thinking about getting a Rebuild from Falcon Hybrid for $800. Let me know what the data reveals and any advice would be epic. I live in Hawaii so little hard to get a full replacement here . Falcon Hybrid ships the separated cells so Repacking can be done, I am a DIY mechanic and this doesn't look hard to me. Aloha!

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    falcon is the worst. search them here. see if @2k1Toaster will ship there

SFO likes this.
  3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You wouldn't buy used tires expecting it last as long as a new one? That is what you are expecting with the "rebuilds."

The chemicals and seals in the modules wear out. How do you "rebuild/refurbish/remanufacture" this? You can't. Thus the problem w/ rebuilds. They take the best of the worst modules and put them into a Frankenstein pack, and call it "rebuilt/remanufactured/reconditioned/etc."

Many people before you were lured by the cheap price, and "warranty", on a "rebuilt" HV battery. All of these people who kept the car, expecting longevity, have come to REGRET their wasteful decision. The people who have NOT regretted this are those who quickly sold the car to the next unsuspecting victim.

If you value reliability, you go with a new OEM HV Battery or 2k1Toaster's option.
    If you don't mind HV Battery breakdowns, and possibly being stranded, you do module replacement.

James1964 likes this.
  4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We can and do ship lots to Hawaii. We've even shipped to a lower-48 address and a friend repackaged to save cost. We highly recommend UPS in the box we pack them in. USPS has a way of treating the packages less than ideally.

Depending on what island you're on it is usually $200-$250 to ship the full protected box out there directly.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Try this analogy:

You have an expensive "thing" hanging on the porch of your home.
    It is held up with some thin ropes.

You notice that the ropes are showing some signs of age and wear and some frayed spots are appearing.

How do you fix that ?
    Do you splice in a new piece where the weakness is occurring.......or do you replace the whole rope ??

6. James1964

James1964 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cut to the quick right there. Nice.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Some people buy a new house. :)

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can't source a new traction battery locally, I think @2k1Toaster's kit would be your best option even though shipping will add to the cost. That's one of the items in the fine print when you move to an island as I did for 9 years. Except mine was in a country that charged 35-50% customs duty. :eek:

If that's too steep, the next best would be to replace the suspect cells with the best matches you can find and then recondition the pack with a Prolong grid charger (Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid. — Hybrid Automotive). I would NOT recommend replacing cells without the reconditioning.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.