1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery replacement advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DSTT, Jan 19, 2019.

1. DSTT

DSTT New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

Last week I got the red triangle sign (together with check engine sign and VSC sign) in our 2nd gen Prius (2006), 225000km. Using TorquePro I read the following OPDII codes: P0A80 and P3015, which suggested that the fifth block of the hybrid battery is weak. Attached is the voltage measurement of the different blocks of the battery together with the voltage measurement of the 12V battery in the ING-ON mode with AC being on. The fifth block is indeed showing lower voltage than the rest, the 12V battery seems also be low.

I went to a Toyota dealership and got a hefty estimate for battery replacement. I am considering some more budget-friendly options. We live now in Germany, where there are not many hybrid-oriented workshops. There seems however to be a couple of companies offering a refurbished battery installation. Alternatively, I am thinking about just replacing the one faulty block myself.

Given the age and mileage of the car, what would be your advise as to how to proceed? How long do you think will the battery last if we do not act at all?

Thank you in advance for help

Attached Files:

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Considering the mileage of the car, I'd either get a used pack from a low mileage car, or just replaced the two modules on that block showing 15volt.
    You can order the modules from eBay; you now load test all your existing pack and the current modules, and cycle them too.
    Might be time consuming.
    You could do that using some few intelligent chargers.

You can also read up battery pack repairs on this group using the search bar.

Dxta

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cannot define how long this battery will last, or how often you will be pulling and repairing a rebuilt pack. have you shopped around for prices on new packs to install yourself?

4. DSTT

DSTT New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much for your answers. They are very helpful.