1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery Spring Inspection

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jdcollins5, Mar 29, 2016.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0515.JPG

I have just passed 112,000 miles on my car. My HV battery temps have increased slightly since the software upgrade that added the ramp to the battery current to MG2 during acceleration. I have read where others have reported similar opinions. I do not understand the connection as to why the accel ramp would increase battery temps. I would like to hear an explanation if anyone has one.

With the temps up to 80 already my battery temps have been 100+ after sitting in an asphalt parking lot all day and making the 25+ mile home commute. So I decided to do a spring checkup yesterday.

I checked my blower motor fan yesterday and it was pristine. I have not carried pets in my car but a few times and have a filter over my intake vent by the rear seat. I used Techstream to manually adjust the fan speeds and verified air flow increase and decrease.

Interesting note: With all of the covers off of the HV battery and the fan speed at max it was not very noisy at all. I have heard others talk about the fan "screaming" at high speeds. This must be the Gen 2's as mine is not noisy at all. I was also surprised at the air velocities. At #1 speed you can barely feel air movement and at #6 it is not moving as much air as I had thought.

I took the cover off of the battery and inspected. Other than some corrosion beginning to form around the bus bar jumpers I did not see anything unusual. See attached pictures.

I added the battery nameplate to get someone to decipher the date code if they will. I am interested in the battery build date for a car that was manufactured in July, 2009.

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Very interesting report, thank you

jdcollins5 likes this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am going to take a stab at the battery date code from the bar code as July 23, 2009.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. are you sure this isn't battery aging?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could the filter be restricting air flow? Just a thought.

Interesting pictures btw, thanks.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I read through with great interest as I wondered what "spring" was in the battery pack. "Springtime" not spring! :)

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am sure aging is part of it. I monitor my battery temp daily with SGII. I remember seeing a distinct increase in temps right after the software upgrade though. I also remember other members making similar comments.

So, to me, it is more than simply age.

No, I removed the filter while running fan with Techstream and there was no noticeable difference in air flow.

Also the mesh is not small enough to restrict air flow.

Springtime would have been more descriptive. I was thinking more along the line of "spring cleaning".

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i get it, you checked if any there were any springs that required cleaning. just like the wind-up car toys.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have tried to Force Charge my Gen 3 but it appears to be limited to 60%. In another thread you commented you would test this on a friend's Gen 3.

I was hoping you could test this and modify your test if this was true.