1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery Temp is abnormal? Causing red Triangle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Drake123, Jul 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Drake123

Drake123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone. I am trying to see if there is a problem with my fan or ducting causing the HV battery to overheat. It seems like the high temp is causing a P3000 code. Does anyone know what the temp is supposed to rest at? This was at an idle when it was around 85 degrees. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the car parked in the sun and for how long? Was the A/C on? For how long? Was the battery fan on full blast? Did driving it with the A/C on help make the fan noise go down?

I'm no expert, but I think that in the right conditions those temperatures could be normal. But the code is concerning. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chip in. If parked in direct sunlight your car and components could heat up much hotter than ambient temps. Then charging during idling will only heat up the battery even more, and the car won't be able to cool the battery yet because the car is full of hot air.

The way the cooling system works is the A/C has to be on for a while and cool down the inside of the car. Then that cool air is drawn in and blown over the HV traction battery. No A/C, no battery cooling.

On the other hand, if the air ducts and blower haven't ever been cleaned out since your car was new 13 year ago and you're getting hot battery codes, it's probably time to get it cleaned out.

3. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've seen those temps in south Texas too. I think your battery is just demonstrating another sign of getting older and weaker (keep an eye on blocks 9&11). Temperature extremes (summer and winter) bring on a rash of failures posted here.

GOOD LUCK!

That thread was started in the middle of the summer in a hot climate. I don't think that's a co-inky-dink.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I was monitoring temps on our 3rd gen, I can recall on a cool evening, say around 15~16C (60F), driving on an easy coastal highway, the battery was stable around 35C (95F).

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the cooling fan running loudly?

have you cleaned it and the intake grille?

some have even posted debris clogging between the modules

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Under normal conditions, those are pretty high temperatures. But if the car had been sitting in the sun for several hours, the battery can eventually get as warm as the cabin, which can get seriously hot even when it's "only" 85 outside.

If the car was in the shade, I'd expect temperatures between 95 and 105F. So, if you were parked in the shade, you might be seeing poor battery cooling due to a dirty fan or clogged fan intake. You can find out in a few minutes with a couple wrenches and a pair of eyeballs (even one eyeball is enough). ;)