1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery testing

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by evrandy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. evrandy

evrandy Electric Prius

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The HV battery warning light is on. Is there a good online discription on how to test the indavidual cells?
    I have all the covers off and the battery key out.
    I have a second car for parts and hope to make one battery from the two.

Thanks
    Randy

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Randy,

I'd suggest measuring the voltage produced by each of the 38 modules when the battery is not in use. They should all be within a few tenths of a volt. Usually a failed module will produce much lower voltage.

If you see battery modules leaking electrolyte, those would also be candidates for replacement.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The modules are counted from the control electronics to the other side. We're looking for module(s) that are ~1.2 V lower than the others.

Bob Wilson

4. tomfreed

tomfreed New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is right. Pull the service plug out so that breaks the serial connection then you can just volt it out one by one and looking for weak one. I did mine 38 of them one by one. Good one 7.2V and up, 4 bad one 6.2-6.4V. Naturally i had battery code and at the time i did not know about individual subpack replacement and forked out $1k for a used one. Outch:eek: I came across this idea when i found Ebay listing for a used subpack and asked seller about it. He even gave me an idea on how to charge it too. I am no longer afraid of traction battery pack error code and definitely will not replace the whole battery pack again.

1 person likes this.
  5. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

I am in process of checking my cars batteries and would like to know how difficult is this to do? New to the Prius and just bought a 2001. What do I search on ebay or where to buy replacement parts if I do find bad cells in the traction battery?

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    From what I can tell (by reading), it is not difficult as long as you're careful and wear proper safety gear. You should also be comfortable working around electricity. DC is not as dangerous as AC but, it is dangerous nonetheless. Seilerts and jdenenberg are the resident experts (and they are experts). There is some delicate wiring that is easily damaged so be very careful.

You can do a search on ebay for "2001-03 prius batteries" for replacement cells.

Are you having problems with your traction battery? How do you know its in need of repair? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The best way to check for problems is if you get DTC's. No DTC's = no problems (typically).