1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery Voltage output questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kevin Palafox, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Kevin Palafox

Kevin Palafox New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I had the christmas tree go off again on the dash, This would be the third time Ive had to replace batteries in the Prius. I went thru the usual checking of voltages of each individual battery. This time most of the batteries were average of 8.29 volts, the only low one was 7.48 volts. Is this unusual that all the batteries were above 8 volts? I replaced the 7.48 battery, . My concern is that isnt 8 volts to high? Am I having a voltage regulater problem? I went out again and with the car off, just checked the voltage output of the battery and it was 168 at the moment, took it for a drive down the hill and back and its output parked and turned off was 269 volts. Is that withing operating normal range? Thanks for the interest.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The nominal voltage of a 2G battery is 201.6V (28 modules * 7.2V). The actual voltage may be 20% higher.

Have you just been replacing individual modules? If so, time to replace all 28 now, they seem to be worn out since the voltage is swinging so much.

3. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I had the same question, in my case it was because I had checked the modules too soon after running the car, checked again after a couple of days and they had dropped to mid 7v.

I am pretty green at the battery thing myself but if I was a gambling man and I seen just one module almost a volt short of all others ......

From what I read here you need to cycle the whole pack to slow down the module failures, they say if you just swap a module expect to do it again in a few months but if you cycle the pack a few times it has a much better chance of surviving in the long run, apparently

cheers

#3 ozmatt, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, these two observations are contradictory: 8.29V * 28 modules = 232V which is within reason.

So if the OP actually measured 269V then the individual module voltages should average ~9.6V. Or, the OP's meter is not working properly and he should get a decent digital multimeter.

5. Nick4501

Nick4501 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I Have question about my HV 2010 toyota prius not starting. Not geeting ready sign. All other light came up. 12 V is good. I check HV battery votsge 224v this is good?

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Nick,

Welcome to Prius Chat

A good place to ask your question about your Gen 3 Prius would be in one of the Gen 3 forums, rather than here in a Gen 2 forum.

FYI, your posts will be moderated until you have 5 or more posts under your belt. This means your next 4 posts won't be visible to everyone until a moderator approves them. A bit inconvenient, but is an anti-spam measure to protect PC from spambots.