1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV/EV button (taking advantage of it)

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by john1701a, May 2, 2012.

1. mikenewmediary

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I will try this, but I thought I had read that using "B" was not as good.
    Maybe this was for the regular Prius, and not PHV....

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    This is not true for ANY Prius, that I'm aware of. B does NOT charge. B uses engine braking to slow. in fact using B will limit regen charging...but maybe since the Prius PHV has more battery that CAN be regen charged than the non-plug, B is being used differently?

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    B recharges the battery under low speed. It depends on how much the battery can take. Once you go over the threshold, it'll waste the energy on the engine.

You cannot control the amount of braking with B. It depends on the speed you are going so there is no way you can tell if the engine will be used to brake or just the battery.

Brake pedal gives a much better control of regen or engine braking. It is blended so you'll pretty much get maximum regen back in the battery.

4. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    -- DELETED as I googled most of these terms --

5. mikenewmediary

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Today, I did the exact same thing as Monday morning(see Below).

My results were identical, lower mileage, more battery. The question is the extra battery worth it.(79 MPG warm engine - 86 MPG cold engine, with .2-.5 less EV battery)

I also noticed when you do not turn the engine on, you lose battery, and get it back, BUT there are times you do not get it ALL back.

Maybe im turning the engine on to early ?? Ill try again, but be closer to the highway.

Im hoping to find a midpoint, where I can get a semi warm engine, enter highway, ang get BETTER MPG.

Stay Tuned!
    Mike

6. wmmmmm

wmmmmm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think this should be something that all PIP owners should know (once you determine what it is) because there is absolutely no way for any computer to know when to pre-warm the engine BEFORE getting on a freeway. If the car is in full EV mode and then gets on a freeway, the car's ICE will wear prematurely. I'm sure Toyota engineers took some precaution by increasing EV boost but basic driving rule is don't get on a freeway with a cold engine.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    KISS HV/EV

Finding the most simplistic use of the HV/EV button has been the focus.

Today was the "along the river" route again. This time, I pressed the button a few seconds before turning onto the 50 mph thruway, then pressing it again as soon as my merge was complete.

It was 50°F outside. So, it took a stoplight and about a mile of travel for the coolant to reach 130°F. When it did, the engine automatically shut off.

The engine wasn't needed again for 18 minutes. By then, the coolant had cooled to 82°F, I was about 1 mile from work, and there was only 0.1 remaining of EV.

Warmup brought the EV up to 0.3 mile, just enough to reach my parking spot with only electricity. And I did. The resulting overall efficiency (using 3.1 kWh of electricity plus a little bit of gas) for 17.2 miles of driving was 271 MPG.

Simple with great results.

Gotta like that.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those attempting to mislead about PHV and undermine its progress have been spreading that belief, since it builds from a reasonable assumption. Don't fall for the greenwashing!

That absolutely is not the case.

When you accelerate hard with a cold engine, the battery-pack is called heavily upon regardless of charge-level.

I did that specific verify just yesterday. The engine RPM only got up to 1532, despite a demanding acceleration up hill onto a 70 mph highway. That is a truly remarkable RPM, way lower than anything you'd ever expect for such a situation.

The engineers designed a system that already takes cold starts into consideration and protected against engine stress. There is nothing to worry about.

Just drive it.

3 people like this.
  9. tom_farr

tom_farr New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's fun to watch all these minds trying to suss out the inner workings of such a complicated beast! Here are some of my observations after ~1000 mi of short week-day commutes and longer freeway weekend trips.

On my commute, which involves no freeways :) I leave home with about 11.3 mi showing on the EV and go down a steep hill for about 2 mi. I use B and the ice comes on. Using the brake gets me to ~11.9 mi on the EV, but no more. The ice goes off after ~3 mi and the rest is on EV. Going home, that steep hill saps the EV and when it kicks over to HV, the battery stack shows almost full, but rapidly (within a quarter mile) drops to a couple bars before the ice comes on to replenish the 'HV battery'. Seems the 'partition' is movable...

On the weekend drive, I follow the wisdom of the group and hit the HV button on entering the freeway. I'll typically have several miles left on the EV. What I've observed is that the EV range number will go up and down a few tenths, but stay around the same value. If I deplete the EV to a lower value, say 0.4, and then get on the freeway in HV mode, I get the same behavior- the value will vary by a couple tenths, but hover around 0.4.

Interesting software...
    Tom Farr

10. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As I have been on vacation for the past few weeks since taking possession of my new PiP, today I did a standard drive and measure my MPG.. Using a nice blend of EV and HV, got a charge at my destination and returned, I obtained 100mpg. That is about 56% increase over my old HCH2 (2006 Honda Civic Hybrid that truthfully only obtained 44mpg toward the end).

:)

11. mikenewmediary

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This week, I have been experimenting with warming the engine before going on the highway.

If I do not warm the engine, I normally have less EV, and MPG to work is 85 @ 17.3 mi

If I warm engine I have about .8-.9 extra EV, but lower mileage @ 79 MPG.

:mod:
    I did come across something that I have not read on the forum.

Last night, while in a lot, NOT PARKED i hit the fan button, and the engine started. I then put the car in Park, and toggled to HV, and noticed on the energy monitor that the battery was charging. If I toggled out of HV, to EV the charge stopped. If I put the car OUT OF PARK, the charge would stop. Once I hit P, and put into HV the battery would charge.

I would say, if your engine turns on, and your not moving for a few, and you do not want to turn the engine off, try this, and gain the extra EV miles.

Its obvious that this is not efficiient for MPG, but if your trying to warm the cabin, or waiting for the engine to cycle this may be worth trying.

2 people like this.
  12. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    I like owning a car that's smarter than me.

When I went into HV on the freeway on-ramp to save EV charge, I was disappointed to see the EV range drop half a mile in the first minute. I guess that was due to keeping RPM low during warmup.

So just driving it will not pollute or stress the engine excessively, but to maximize EV range prewarming is necessary - an exception to the Just Drive It rule.

(Maybe someday the nav system will memorize often used routes. Then it could anticipate turning onto a freeway and prewarm automatically, or burn EV charge because it knows it's nearing the home charging station. How cool would that be?)
    Do you mean that you pressed the button twice to turn the engine on while remaining in EV, and then switched into HV when the merge was complete?

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oops! I unintentionally blew past the high-end on the measurement scale.

Being a Friday morning, traffic was rather thin and I was able hit a few of the lights green which I normally have to stop for. And since acceleration from a stop consumes far more electricity than just maintaining a steady cruise, I was looking at the potential for an unusually good result.

I certainly wasn't expecting this though: 563 MPG

That's a "huge" improvement over the 271 MPG from the very same drive the other day, using the button just once to start the engine then quickly switch back to EV mode. Realistically, that's only a difference of about 0.03 gallons of gas, but it's still exciting to see.

1 person likes this.
  14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not sure, the wording of that question is difficult to follow. Possibly...

I pressed the button to get into HV mode. The engine started immediately. I pulled out into traffic. Then I pressed the button again to return to EV mode. Elapsed time: 10 seconds.

The point is to remain in EV mode as much as possible, regardless of whether or not the engine is running. Just allow the system to handle the efficiency part for you.

1 person likes this.
  15. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Ah. When I pull onto an on-ramp, it's a freeway going 60 - 65 mph so EV isn't usually the best option. But yours is a 50 mph road.

So you encouraged the car to use the ICE to get some boost while accelerating, and then went back to EV to cruise.

But that works better if the ICE isn't cold, right?

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My quest is to find when the engine can be best used, since they isn't enough capacity available for the entire drive.

The engine contribution works best when it is already warm, since it shuts off very quickly afterward.

What's been impressive is how well tne system handles cold-engine demand. It's not obvious and is somewhat counter-initiative.

17. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    I had 1 mile of EV left, and needed to run down the hill for a quick errand and then back up the hill, a distance of 1.5 miles.

I ran on EV until reaching the bottom of the hill on the way home. The ICE turned on, but drew heavily on the hybrid capacity because it was warming up. So I arrived home with the hybrid reserve half down, ready for a good recharge, having burned 0.016 gallon of gas. (What does a warmup burn?)

I deliberately did not hit HV to prewarm the ICE, figuring that that would have used more gas and less electricity. But had I been going further, I would have done, in order to use the EV capacity more efficiently.

Does this qualify me for a Junior Mileage Obsessive award?.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's great seeing the quantity of gas consumed such a small fraction of a gallon. I'm thinking that does qualify you. :cool:

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does scangauge tell you how much gas is being used?

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is informative to see MPG beyond the 100 limit on the dashboard. There are trip meters too. That makes for a nice addition to what's factory available.

My favorite bit of info by far though is coolant temp... and has been in the dead of winter here in Minnesota for many years... but with the PHV, that will likely provide a major insight to how well thought out of the design is. It already shows more than you'd expect during the warm season.

It would be exciting for there to someday be a version 3 of ScanGauge. Just imagine what that could provide... for us who crave deeper knowledge of the inner workings, not to mention collecting stats like gas usage. :rolleyes: