1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV mode mileage

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by joachimz, Dec 6, 2017.

1. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Today (or maybe yesterday evening) the unthinkable happened: I forgot to plug-in my Prime :(:eek::cry:
    I had 0.1 mile EV range left when i pulled into the garage, so when I realized what happened this morning i was thinking i could either put it in charge mode or just take my commute in HV mode. I decided on HV, same driving (speed etc as usual) ... end result was ~75 mpg on my 52 mile commute, when i have a full EV charge, I end up with ~55% capacity at work and my mpg is ~ 95-100. So 75 is actually pretty good, and I was quite surprised to monitor how often the "little" EV mode indicator came on ...
    In my Gen3, the very best mileage i ever got on my commute was 70mpg (displayed) and that was in ideal conditions, in weather like today, Gen3 would have probably been low 60s, so ~ 15-20% mileage increase in the Prime vs Gen3 is impressive (for me)

Tideland Prius and Ferrarilover like this.
  2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Even though the EV portion of the battery was near empty, the HV portion of the battery was full. Great vehicle eh?

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I forgot to take my charge cable on a 120 mile round trip. I can usually get a few hours charge 1/2 way. I was also surprised how much battery only mode in HV I had.