1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV replacement options in VA

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by benjita, Jul 5, 2018.

1. benjita

benjita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eric, Thanks for taking the time to walk me through the process of inspecting the hybrid battery ECU. I'll try to head over early tomorrow. I'd like to pull out completely to inspect. Can you confirm that I won't need to reprogram the hybrid battery ECU?

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    benjita, I don't think eric is currently showing as online. The ecu mounted in the HV battery case is plug and play. It requires no programming if swapped/removed/reinstalled/etc.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. benjita

benjita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Took a day off to recover but wanted to update the group. Eric kindly took some time to chat with me via phone and we decided it would be a good idea for me to inspect the battery ECU. I drove down early in the morning and was able to access it in short order. Attached is a photo of one of plugs that shows a slight tinge of corrosion. Checked-in with Eric,who said it looked good, so I sanded the corrosion off and reinstalled.

I decided to just have the dealer install a new battery. I could have bought one from them for $1995 and installed myself but they don't have them in stock, so I'd have to come back down another day. I figure I'd give them the business since they didn't charge for the diagnosis and offered me a free loaner.

The work should be done by Friday and the "waiver" the had me sign just said that I agreed that changing out the battery may not solve the problem. I feel safe taking that bet after all the support from the group. Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for circling back ;).

What’s the loaner:whistle:?

That’s a good price too for a brand new battery BTW(y).

5. benjita

benjita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, the price seemed reasonable for me too considering how significant the battery is. The car has been great and I'd like to keep it for another 4-5 years so it seemed like a worthwhile "investment" in the car. The dealer's original estimate of $4.5k had me thinking about ditching the car though. You guys saved me from having to buy a new car!

The loaner is a Camry :sleep:

#25 benjita, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would have thought they would have put you in a Prime to get the new car juices flowing;).

But you’ve got your Prius sorted and avoided a new car:).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

benjita likes this.