1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV (traction) Battery Fail at 100,500 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Oppy, May 20, 2014.

1. Oppy

Oppy Smug Apprentice

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 Prius had been the most reliable car I've owned in 36 years of driving...and then the HV battery failed with only 100,500 miles. Beyond the $3300 worth of frustation, is the fact we have four Toyota hybrids from same dealer in Aub Wa, and requests to take that into consideration when pricing the new battery went unanswered.
    My recommendation to others with hybrids is to casually investigate your options; some shops will replace the bad cell (my pack had only one bad cell) and if you have some skills you can do it yourself without much difficulty. The saving is about $2,000 - $3,000 depending. I had read the stats indicating the average life is about 200K miles, so the failure wasnt even on my radar. By the time the pack failed, my car wouldnt drive and I had no time to pursue options.

Bottom line, I'd buy the car again but be prepared to NOT take it to the dealer for the replacement.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $3300 for the most reliable car in 36 years isn't too bad. It provided you with 9 trouble free years and possibly another 9 trouble free years to come

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you contact toyota to see if they would help out? many here have received a substantial discount.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO, It's the wrong way at looking at the issue. I would say the battery failed at the age of 9 years. About 10 years is when people start to see problems. If this is the only issue, not too bad. I'm also active on RAV4 forums and it's common for members to have very expensive failures like tranny, VVT, rear diff, head gaskets, water pumps, ignition coils, etc at low miles. Some of those items cost $2000-$5000 to fix. The modern cars are very costly to fix.

uart likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am confused about when the 15o kmile CARB warranty kicks in. OK I guess per JimboPalmer's famous post below, that WA does not offer the 150k mile warranty.

With the exception of AZ, any year after the Model Year listed is also covered.
    MY 2004 California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Vermont
    MY 2005 Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Rhode Island
    MY 2007 Maryland
    MY 2008 Oregon, Pennsylvania*
    MY 2009 Washington*
    MY 2011 New Mexico
    MY 2011, 2012 only Arizona
    MY 2014 Delaware*
    (these are my best guess, I invite corrections)

* not all warranty provisions apply, does not include the 150,000/10 year duration

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/the-2014-list-of-carb-states-in-the-us.136661/#ixzz32JkAsg1z
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you've supported Toyota by either being a Toyota household (and providing proof) and/or having had your car serviced by a Toyota dealer for its lifetime, then the chances are that Toyota will help you out if you're just outside warranty.

I speak from personal experience where my inverter was replaced outside of warranty (they paid for the inverter, I paid for fitting). My car has a full Toyota service history and my partner owns a Toyota from new too.

If you've purchased your cars second hand and serviced your car outside of Toyota, then I fear they may draw the warranty line at 100,000 miles on the dot. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

But as others have said, contact Toyota HQ in your State or the US and give them your facts and concerns and see if there is anything they can offer - you don't ask you don't get! Depending on the circumstances of owning 4 Toyota hybrids, you'd have thought they'd look to offer some support with you only being slightly over warranty.

Good luck and keep us all informed.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the OP has already paid his dues and beyond the "asking for help" part. His post sounded like it's fixed.