1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV1 Hybrid battery cooling system service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ftc, Sep 2, 2014.

1. ftc

ftc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I took my 2010 II Prius to the dealer last week and was advised the hybrid battery cooling system needed service to the tune of $299.00. I told them to wait until the next service date. I checked the Toyota recommended maintenance schedule and can not find this service listed. I have read many posts re: hybrid battery cooling including how to check the cooling fan myself but no mention of this being a Toyota recommended service. I also called Toyota customer service but all the person wanted to do was for me to talk to my dealer about this. However I am reluctant to do that as I feel it is like complaining about food in a restaurant. Is this service included in my warranty? Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ripoff alert!!!:eek: how many miles on her? there is no recommended service for this. it's a good idea, if you carry furry animals on a regular basis, or some other source of contamination, to pull the ductwork and look at the fan. if you find much, you might want to add a pre filter to the back seat vent grille. if you want the dealer to inspect it, it shouldn't be more than the minimum one hour labor. one thing that isn't recommended by toyota, but most everyone here is a tranny drain and refill. all the best!(y)

3. ftc

ftc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, then has anyone had this service done?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you can google the utube from luscious garage.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you don't have a dog that you transport then I would not bother with the service.

6. ftc

ftc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, no furry animals. And I keep the inside clean. This whole thing kind of surprised me as other Prius owners here have not mentioned this?

7. ftc

ftc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    55,000 mikes, no furry animals. clean inside. I live in a high density senior area and have heard many horror stories of businesses ripping seniors off. Like an oil change that ended up @ over $3,000. And changing watch batteries for $200.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is really a good example of a stealer tactic, prey on the seniors. There is no reason that person even recommended that service, your car is clean and you don't have pets. And at $299....it's almost 3 hours of labor for what? You wouldn't know if they did anything to you car.......just giving them $299 for the fun of it.

hkgngplugin likes this.
  9. ftc

ftc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The service person put my "delay" on the service report. Now the question is, if I refuse this service does this mean that if something happens before my hybrid battery warranty runs out, then I could be held responsible?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not a service that's on your owner's manual. How can that be delayed? I would ask for them to remove it all together. What utter nonsense.

11. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Forget it. Don't have it done. It is a ripoff.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it's not in the maint. manual, you cannot be denied warranty. sleep well:coffee::sleep:

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed with everyone. It is not required maintenance. The dealer is blowing smoke.

Ron

14. hkgngplugin

hkgngplugin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    100% not worthy! You are so smart to put this dump service on hold!
    For an amount of $299, I believe you may possibly buy a brand new fan to replace it.
    I have been in the air conditioning business for almost a decade, and the first thing you can see for a dirty ventilation is a very dirty inlet. There should be dust or hair deposit on the inlet and the ductings before the fan gets dirty.
    Also, I do not recommend adding any filters to the system. Doing so will increase the “static pressure” of the ventilation, in a result, decreasing the cooling efficiency of the fan. And that may decrease the life of your traction battery due to heat.

15. ftc

ftc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Being an engineer and thinking more about this, why, if the hybrid battery needs to be cooled and if it is a critical thing, like a combustion engine overheating, then why don't the hybrid car manufacturers put a battery temperature gauge on the dash? Doesn't have to show the temp but colored, green=ok; yellow=Caution; red=take for service. From what I have learned from the internet, there are three temperature sensors on the hybrid battery. So the hookup and gauge needn't have costed too much. Does anybody know if there still are car manufacturers service reps that work with the customer and the dealer to resolve issues? In the past I have talked to these kind of people but can find nothing on Toyota's website.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota does not want more feedback from customers trying to diagnose gauges.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    this is not an issue, the fan is fully automated to come on when it gets hot

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a phone number in the owners manual to escalate problems beyond the dealer, what issue are you having?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota sells a snap on grille with tighter openings for pre filtering. hopefully, it's engineered not to impede flow.

20. ftc

ftc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the fan does not come on, does this shutdown the engine? Or is that when the Hybrid battery warning message is shown?