1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HVAC System dying?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by choo2drivr, Nov 24, 2018.

1. choo2drivr

choo2drivr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Touring, 211K miles. It has been, and still is, a great little car. A few days ago I cranked the A/C down using the steering wheel buttons and nothing happened. That's my usual MO - my wife always uses the MFD. I pressed the "Climate" button and pulled it up. Everything looked normal; A/C was highlighted, and the fan was on high but nothing coming out of the vents and no unusual sounds. I took it off Auto using the steering wheel buttons, and the display responded appropriately. However, I couldn't turn it back on using the MFD. I turned it on using the steering wheel buttons and it came on, performed normally. Today we took a 1 1/2 hour trip and I never could get it to work. Windshield defrost button doesn't work either place. I haven't checked fuses yet, it's rainy and dark now. I am an electrical idiot and will be lucky to do much more than check the fuses. Any idea where to start, or should I just drive it to a stealership and leave my credit card? With 211K miles is it worth putting much money into it?

This was yesterday; I just went out and started the car and the HVAC came on where I had left it. I was afraid to adjust it (Windshield defrost, high fan speed) but it came right back on after I came out of the store. I hate intermittent electrical problems.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might be a bad mfd, but would take some testing. if it is, a rebuilt is cheap

as for pouring money in, if it comes to that, i would move on, but it is a personal decision, and some keep theirs going for another 100,000 or more.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Don't know if they have anything in common or not but I've had the climate system "lock up" in my C several times.
    Turning it completely OFF seems to reset mine.

SFO likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Among the diagnostic screens you can get on the MFD, one of them is a touch screen test; you can poke your finger at different places on the screen and the display will show a mark where it thinks you touched. Might give you a quick way to check whether the touch screen is on its way out.