1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid automotive grid charger Install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sezy, Jul 27, 2015.

?
  1. Good for the battery

88.9%
  2. Bad idea

11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That actually makes sense. The car does not run the fan all of the time, only when the battery gets hot enough that it is needed. Most of the time the fan is not running at all (or very little) while the car is operating.

Sezy likes this.
  2. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Did a full charge of 24 hours then let the car sit before starting. No issues to report this charge.

jeff652 likes this.
  3. Kevin Cecchini

Kevin Cecchini Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

4. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Kevin, Yes, this is what out products are designed for. You can cycle the pack, load test to identify failed modules, replace them, and then recondition the pack to equalize the replacements with the rest of the pack. All of this can be done with our products.

You can read about the process here:
    Battery Reconditioning - Hybrid Automotive

Feel free to give us a call at 800-589-0730 if you'd like to discuss this process with a human being.

:) Jeff

5. Kevin Cecchini

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Jeff, upon performing a charge, the voltage is 446 volts. is that bad or good?
    Kevin.

6. Kevin Cecchini

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Jeff,
    I have a question:
    to discharge the battery pack, can't we just leave the ignition on until the battery pack bars show that the battery pack is drained, then charge with prolong charger? Also, what if we were to connect a charger to the auxiliary battery during the previous mentioned discharge.

I am sure there is a reason why this cannot be performed, however, it does not hurt to ask.

Thank you Jeff and all other's who may share their information.

-Kevin

jeff652 and alaa al abki like this.
  7. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm guessing you mean 246 volts? If so, yeah, that's within the range of normal.

The car will never let the battery drain below 40% SOC. This is not low enough to break down the memory effect and restore lost capacity. The ignition needs to be off an an external load applied - our light bulb discharger is an ideal low-cost way to create the load.

Cyon Kim likes this.
  8. Kevin Cecchini

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello Jeff652,

Today I received my three modules which I had ordered, I measured the voltage of these three modules and they are as follows, 7.77, 7.79, 7.31. Module 7 is week in my current traction battery pack and needs replacement and module 8 is week. I am unaware of their voltage at this time ( the modules in the battery pack). My plan is to replace module 7 and 8 with the 7.76 and 7.79 and then discharge and recharge with the prolong battery charger.

I believe that the discharger and charger your company builds will be able to properly discharge, charge, and re balance the two modules I plan to replace?

Also, can I find directions on your company's website on how to properly perform the discharge, charge, and re-balance procedure?

Once more question Jeff, does the prolong charger have the capability of displaying the volts of each separate module? If so, how is this performed? It seems as though that is impossible, however, what do I know, I am just a dumb ole bricklayer.

Ok thank you,

Kevin.

9. Kevin Cecchini

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hello again Jeff,

so I seen the other post with the site for discharging and charging.

How do we know the modules individual voltage during discharge? by individually testing each module or is their another way?

Also, someone had mentioned a "mini" type of device. I tried to find one on amazon and was totally unsure what one to purchase. How does a 2004 Toyota hybrid car owner know which one to purchase and which one not to purchase?

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is plenty of advice in other threads about Mini-VCI, VxDiag and Techstream. Do a search on VxDiag or Mini-VCI in all the Gen II forums, as there is no need to continually repeat the same information.

After this, if you still have questions, start a new thread (in the "Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion" forum) with them.

#30 dolj, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  11. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is the difference between the system you sell here on PriusChat and the round one you sell on your site?

#31 kenoarto, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  12. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  13. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes. Install the replacement modules into the pack, then cycle the entire pack to normalize the replacement modules with you existing modules.

Our products operate at the pack level. Only our load tester is designed for module level voltage readings. You can read an overview of the reconditioning process here:
    Battery Reconditioning Overview - Hybrid Automotive

:) Jeff

14. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah, I see. The PriusChat shop photos are old. All shipments are the new tri-color green round units.