1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Bashing?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by diamondlarry, Nov 24, 2008.

1. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  2. effwitt

effwitt Paparazzi Magnet

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It looks like they're bashing the oversized weak hybrids, not the Prius.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    20MPG 2-mode SUV vs. Smart?

[​IMG]

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "Cadillac"

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think they're bashing hybrids. I think they're trying to make fun of Smart cars and also point out the irony of hybrid full-size SUVs. At least, that's my perception of it.

Or maybe they're trying to point out what jerks SUV drivers can be. They buy SUVs that say "hybrid" on them just so they can run around the roads, bossing everyone around and acting like jerks, and thinking now they're better than everyone because their escalade XXL has the novelty "hybrid" emblem on it.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I had a smart car behind me last night, that had the Smart insignia removed, and replaced with the three-pointed Mercedes symbols. Kinda the reverse of this commic.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I think they are having a dig at the clowns that don't buy the 5 litre V8 non-sports utility vehicle (nothing sporty about them) which gets 13mpg but instead buys the 6.2 litre hybrid version of the same non-sports utility vehicle that achieves a remarkable 15mpg.

8. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  9. zcat3

zcat3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think this is a jab at the new Escalade Hybrid (and the other large SUV hybrids coming to market). The Escalade still gets abysmal mileage and is your standard large obnoxious (IMO) American SUV, but now the owners can sya they are doing their part by driving a Hybrid. The point being that it is not Hybrid technology will save the planet, but a completely different mind set that takes us away from the large truck mentality.

10. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The caricature probably aims at the recently produced Chevy Tahoe Hybrid.
    Also in 2009 GM has anounced the production of the full size pick-up Silverado Hybrid .

Instead of 12/19 mpg, the Tahoe Hybrid get 21/22

11. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There's a Cadillac logo on the side. Clearly it's a dig at poseurs trumpeting their eco-consciousness.

12. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Count how many times that SUV says "hybrid" on it, and notice that they even have a flag that says "hybrid" on it. Now reread the second paragraph of my previous comment.

Did you see my thread on the LA Auto Show? There are pictures of actual Lorinser and Brabus Smart cars.

13. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I got tail-gated by a Prius yesterday. Some guy that had way too much caffeine and came flying out of the car-pool lane. (I have a feeling I only bought the Prius for the car-pool stickers)
    He could probably care less about gasoline prices. The funniest part to me about it was that I had just read on PriusChat earlier that day that others had been tail-gated by a Prius.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I trust you mean "I have the feeling HE only bought...." :)

15. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yeah, that's what I meant. :)
    I was typing on my iPhone and although the keyboard works fine, trying to type a whole paragraph into a text box on a forum page can be a little awkward. Sorry. I'm glad you figured it out. I'm waiting to see if I ever get tail-gated by a Smart car. That should be somewhat amusing. Of course, it makes perfect sense; it doesn't matter what kind of car a person is driving; if you're in a hurry, you're in a hurry.
    Although, I've seen some pretty [stupid] people on motorcycles even tail-gate SUVs. :der:

16. rbasho

rbasho New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree that the cartoon is definitely the mocking the very idea of "hybrid" SUVs, or people who feel any hybrid is automatically superior or "greener" than a non-hybrid, which couldn't be any more false.

Didn't, however, a hybrid SUV of sorts win "Green Car of the Year" last year, to much protest? I have the feeling that most people are thinking to themselves, "well, a hybrid SUV is still better than a non-hybrid SUV...if we HAVE to have SUVs..."

17. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi PA..,

I do not think so. I have actually seen an A Class up close. Its reportedly the personal car of a European Physist that works out at Fermi-Lab. I saw it in a parking lot, and got up close and looked it all over. This car was definately much smaller.

Looking at the picture, the three-pointed star symbol on the front of the car that was behind me was about 3 inches in diameter and with narrow needles. Unlike the one on the front of the car in Wikipedia article (tapered needles with wide roots, and about 5 to 7 inches in diameter, and mounted low). I doubt I would have been able to see the A class three pointed star symbol through rear window of the Prius, at the distance this guy was following me. I saw the following car's three-pointed star centered in the lower glass window