1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid batteries not charging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by TLC2011, Jul 5, 2011.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, you are going to need tech stream, if you intend to keep this puppy running. it is likely that under load, one of the cells is failing.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have replies in the other thread.

Unfortunately, this process is not something that can be hurried. As you have experienced, cutting corners, does not save time.

3. mattd2472

mattd2472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    even if they all tested the same when I took the battery apart?

is there something special I should do with techstream I have the app and the OBDII cable.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You would have to follow one of the existing battery rebuilding threads here, it is fairly technical.
    Voltage at rest is only the beginning of the story.

5. mattd2472

mattd2472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    im using this pon my phone ... can you or someone link me to that thread if you know of it??

how can I test the cell under load when im driving? I have tech stream and is shows NO errors on my hybrid

6. mattd2472

mattd2472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ok so I went back and took my battery apart ... made sure ALL the copper connectors were looking brand new ... even used some electronics clearer for ALL the connections ... and STILL the battery under load will not either hold the charge or even recharge and I always end up with 1 or 2 purple lines on the display and my regular engine is doing all the work ... now and for the second time im getting an error about the lock mechanism and the transmission "P" ... park the car on a level surface and not sure if these are related ... I also have a new 12v battery brand new and installed maybe 6 weeks ago ... im at a loss now and im about ready to junk this car and the spare hybrid battery I have ... the only thing I can think of now IS .... test all the cells in my spare hybrid battery and replace them all in the hybrid that's in my car now and see if there is a difference???? I don't have any tools to charge and discharge the cells either

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is the cold 12v voltage?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tech stream will measure the hybrid cells while driving.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    read through 'gen II individual battery module replacement, by @ryousideways .

10. mattd2472

mattd2472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    HOW I can not for the life of me figure it out

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is beyond some people. i myself, don't have any knowledge, and let the dealers do all my repairs. have you considered that you may be in over your head?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. mattd2472

mattd2472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok all ... i had to say goodbye to my 06 prius ... having said that i have 56 cells that are all good im looking to get rid of ... i will let them go for $10 - $15 each ... plus shipping. If anyone is interested email me .... matthewd2472 hotmail. I have 1 full battery totally works the issue is my hybrid motor is shot. The other hybrid is also intact and the cells are fine but it never regitered in my car. I can sell them as a whole each $200. If needed i can provide pics of everything to anyone interested.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Like bisco said, testing without load, is just the beginning.
    If you want to achieve a lasting result, you've got to spend time reading through the battery rebuild thread meticulously.

Your approach in your rebuild seems to be a whack the mule. That's not gonna last

14. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I regretted you let go of the Prius, but I think the problem was you weren't ready to put in the amount of time needed in the process.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mattd.
    Check your inverter coolant pump. An over heated inverter will prevent regen charging of hv battery, but would also present other symptoms like no power steering (if inverter gets hot enough) and also tempory loss of air conditioning... and usually lots of warning lights.. but also check hv battery cooling fan. An overheated uncooled battery will not charge (because of current limiting to protect overheated battery).

Try and monitor individual battery modules internal resistances before giving up.
    A battery pack with 300k miles will no dought have much lower capacity. And if your in hot summer conditions running air conditioner full blast at lengthy traffic lights will quickly run down any prius battery (genII mostly).

Also if you can monitor battery current. hard regen braking should produce 97 amps to an hv battery under 100 degrees F in temperature. If you can achieve 97 amps regen on cool hv battery you still have life left in your battery.

16. mattd2472

mattd2472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

to all who commented and tried to help ... no with a divorce and new baby on the way and work I don't have the time to invest into my car ... I should have taken a step or two back and did some research but I dropped the ball .... currently if
    anyone looking for some 06 cells? I have 56 from 2 different batteries ... ranging from 7.3v to 7.5v