1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Batteries Voltage Confusing

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Smartcuror, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This, so much this. The car would not run with those readings. It has to be the OBD device or the software on your phone.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Low failure rate doesn't mean NO failure rate... There's a senior member on here who owns 3 Prius on here and have had all 3 Prius get new HV batteries under warranty/HV battery failed prematurely. Not only does this person have more cars then they actually need, but they admit that each car doesn't get driven very often. We all know that Prius HV packs run best as a Primary everyday vehicle. So it seems to me that this person's own gluttony and wastefulness has cost the world the valuable resources it took to produce 6 HV battery packs. That's shameful!

Likewise, I didn't buy a K&N filter to increase power, improve MPG or "cost" savings, but to not be wasteful... After 120K miles with that air filter I've only once had to wash it and re-oil it and have had to throw nothing, as in zero of anything away. How about you? How much waste has your air filter needs produced on your 2010 Prius over the past 120K miles?

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s kinda messed up when you don’t know that much about someone and say they are a glutton. I myself currently own a Prius, 2 4 runners, a Tacoma and a BMW. I won’t get into why.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We are in agreement. But still, statistically speaking, the OP has a very low probability of experiencing an HV Battery Failure as you know. Think of the lotto; someone will win, it just won't be you or me, even if we buy a ticket; very LOW probability.

2007, with 157.5K miles, the air filter has only been replaced 3 times so far. I go by the light test, not the maintenance interval. Remember, the Nissan enthusiasts found K&N to allow the most particulates through compared to the other air filters. Until K&N can demonstrate comparable or better filtration, I will stick w/ disposable paper/fiber.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has there been any research, or got any links on how that specific particulate size increases engine wear or doesn't increase engine wear? Also a brand new filter allows greater particulate then a filter that been used up and partially clogged. And with K&N you can go way longer between cleaning...

6. qettyz

qettyz Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What would Hybrid Assistant app show if battery test is running?
    Those Torque Pro Voltage block look like they are showing complete different readings than you think they are.

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am not aware of any long term test assessing engine damage due to poor filtration, by any reputable air filter manufacture.

But makes sense no manufacture will conduct such a test.
    1. Costly test to perform, especially if data is bad for them; its an unnecessary risk with very little reward.
    2. Would be expensive and difficult for a consumer to prove engine damage due to poor air filter performance.
    3. An accident is more likely to retire a vehicle than particulate(s) passing through an air filter.
    4. Few people keep their cars that long, for air filter particulate damage to manifest, if it does.
    5. Marketing hype and celebrity endorsements work wonders.

8. Smartcuror

Smartcuror New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Using a new Carista Obd adapter. These are the readings. Lesson learnt.

Thanks for all the inputs. Screenshot_20181012-114451_Torque.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.