1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Advice, Please

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Don Morton, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Don Morton

Don Morton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2010 Gen III Prius hybrid battery has died. I'm currently driving around on the gas engine until I save enough for a replacement. What's your best advice on 1) whether to go with a re-manufactured from some place like Green Bean (with brand new cells, warranted for 48 months @$1,850.00) or a new original one from the dealer (unsure of the warranty) at $3,250 - $3,500? I could also purchase refurbished batteries and do it myself - piece of cake. But it would still cost about as much as the Green Bean, plus they come to the house and install it. Thanks!

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How does your car engine turn over when the hybrid bat supposed to do that when it’s dead?

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    New battery

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For only a couple hundred more than green bean you could just get a New battery from Toyota dealer and install it yourself.

Else have it done by an independent for $2600-$3000.

A New battery will always last longer than a used one.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Don Morton

Don Morton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Beats me. Toyota says its dead and knows that I'm driving around on the gasoline engine. Maybe it uses the 12v like a non-hybrid would. But it doesn't sound like it uses a starter. It just starts.

Sound fishy?

Eric, I'll try that but I think the dealer said they want over $3,000 even if I install it myself. I'll check around

#5 Don Morton, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fishy doesn't begin to tell the whole story.

CR94 and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can get a new battery from 'newpriusbatteries.com' for $1,600. including shipping. this is your best bet, unless you can find a toyota oem in the low 2,000's.

but first, please fill us in on why we are having this discussion in the first place.

1) the hybrid battery starts the engine, so, it has to still be working.

2) if it is going bad, you will get the red triangle, and a code scan will tell you what is happening.

3) where are you in this process?

#7 bisco, Jul 31, 2019
    R_W and Don Morton like this.
  8. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Before you do anything drastic, look at some YouTube videos and clean the bus bars. Tarnish is not a good conductor of electricity.
    Untitled.png

mjoo and jerrymildred like this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don,

Where are you in South Carolina....I'm in Columbia and I may be able to make your day a lot better................you just have no idea (yet) of how great a place this forum can be............you came to the right place....

10. Don Morton

Don Morton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rayeagle, I am in fact in Columbia, SC The dealer I normally work with is Jim Hudson in Irmo. If you are willing to provide more help my cellphone is (803) 673-3761. Thanks!

Bisco and Pluggo - thanks to for your advice! I haven't done anything yet but plan to call Toyota today to ask how the heck the car will start if the hybrid battery is dead. They charged me $85 a couple weeks ago to tell me it was, and how much a new one would cost!

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don,

I'm guessing your last post was meant for me? I'm just over one mile from Lake Murray dam, on the Irmo side. I'm sure we can arrange a meeting to introduce ourselves. I have essentially the same software Toyota has for going online with your car for diagnosing (Toyota techstream). Gen 2 Prius hybrid batteries are my thing (y) but I'm easing into Gen 3 now also. I feel confident the batteries I build are better than 99% (maybe even 99.9%) of the rebuilds available out there. I have quite an inventory and can provide you with a handful of options.

RMB, The Critic, GardenWeasel and 4 others like this.
  12. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes! Maybe it is lame and sick, but it can not be dead if you.are still driving around.

Don Morton likes this.
  13. Don Morton

Don Morton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eric,

I spoke with one local Toyota dealer yesterday afternoon and they said they won't sell batteries to customers. The coast is $2,750. Plus installation (four hours @ $200 per hour).

I also asked if I could take the old battery with me to sell it and they said "no" unless I wanted to pay the $1,000 core charge. If I did take it that would mean they would charge me $4,500 for a new battery! I didn't bother arguing the fact that the old battery was mine and if they wanted to keep it I would sell it them for $1,000.

So this particular dealer won't be getting my business - ever again. Crooked vultures!

Don

bisco likes this.
  14. Don Morton

Don Morton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, I took it back by the dealer yesterday and they insisted the "code" indicate it is dead, and the Corolla engine is being started by the small 12v battery in the trunk. They also offered some hybrid system mumbo jumbo further defending their assessment.

That would be great. However, the dealer said they won't sell one to cusomers. Must purchase it for ~$2,700 plus $800 for installation!

Ray, not sure you are getting my replies - been repsonding to emails instead of posting here. I'm in Irmo. If you can send me the name of your shop or a phone number I'll try to catch up with you today. Thanks!

Yep! Let's talk ASAP. I'd like to get the battery replaced ASAP. Where is your shop in Irmo? Thanks! - Don

#14 Don Morton, Aug 2, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Don Morton

Don Morton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Irmo! Let me kjnow how we can meet.

Hey, I took it back by the dealer yesterday and they insisted the "code" indicate it is dead, and the Corolla engine is being started by the small 12v battery in the trunk. They also offered some hybrid system mumbo jumbo further defending their assessment.

1) The dealer says the engine is being started by the 12v battery with some (mumbo-jumbo) help from the hybrid sytem. "But", they say, "the hybrid battery is dead."

2) The triangle is yellow, and the Check Engine light is on (also yellow). Plus where the message to change the oil appears, a message says "Check Hybrid System"

3) Have not done anything yet but am prepared to order a new battery from the site you recommended. Any idea who might buy the old one for refurb?

#15 Don Morton, Aug 2, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don,

Apparently this dealer is one to stay away from for hybrid work. Typically a P0A80 code will show up which means "Replace Hybrid Battery Pack". It doesn't necessarily mean the hybrid battery is totally DOA, more that it has an issue that is preventing it from working as it should. In most cases, it's due to some of the 28 individual modules becoming weak and out of balance with the remaining modules.

Any dealer that tells you the engine is being started by the 12v battery needs to lose any certification they have for working on a Prius. The 12v battery in a Prius is used only to boot up the computers and run any 12v accessories like lights and windows and pumps etc. A prius does not even have a conventional starter motor like most cars. In simplified terms, to start the engine, the HV battery spins the transaxle, which in turn spins the engine for ignition. An HV battery with a P0A80 code and in the early stages of failure will still work well enough to drive the car. The battery will continue to degrade and the car will continue to code out until it feels like a total dog and then leaves you stuck somewhere.

What we discussed earlier does include installation and 3 year guarantee.

If you would like to see exactly what's going on with your car "live" I can show you on my laptop. It only takes 5 minutes to get online with the car. You can even take screenshots.

17. Don Morton

Don Morton New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jim, yours sounds like a good deal. Let me know when we can get together and I'll bring the car. Thanks!
    Don

18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don,
    I'll be available all day tomorrow or we can arrange something later in the week. I keep one space open in the garage for car work and right now the wife's car is in it for a new power steering pump and front crankshaft seal. I'll be spending my evening finishing that. Shoot me a message or call when you have a chance and we can discuss a good time. Any time tonight will be fine. Apparently I'll be in the garage for at least a few hours.

SFO, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would make sure any replacement has new cells, not just a mishmash of the “better” used cells from donor systems. Even with a warranty, a “refurbished, matched, balanced” etc used system will be subject to early failures, which can be a recurring irritation. Assuming the warranty is honored.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd you call around to other dealers In sure there is one that would sell to you. Generally retail price is around $2,100.

In fact I would think Don should be able to get one for you. Would be much better than buying a hodgepodge of Used modules.

A Used battery will never last as long as a New one.

jerrymildred and The Critic like this.