1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery and ECU failed at same time?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by themadbluebird, Apr 28, 2017.

1. themadbluebird

themadbluebird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The hybrid battery in my 2007 Prius with 165,000 miles is showing all the signs of going out (discharging very quickly, red triangle, etc.) I took it in to a Toyota dealer and had the DTC codes read. They informed me that it was giving codes to replace the hybrid battery AND the ECU. They quoted me about $3,000 for a new battery and around $1,000 for a new ECU.

I am a little suspicious that both the hybrid battery and the ECU would go out at the same time, so I am hesitant to replace both of them. While I am just a layman, it seems more probable to me that one of them is bad and is causing the other to act oddly.

Anyone else had a similar diagnosis in the past?

Here are the codes that came out:
    P0607
    P3000
    P0A80
    C0200
    C1235
    C2300
    C2318
    B1271

2. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check the 12 V battery.

3. themadbluebird

themadbluebird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the tip. I checked the 12V battery and it was indeed low. It hadn't been changed for at least the 4 years I have owned the car, so not surprising. I replaced it today with a new one. Having the 12V battery disconnected reset the DTC codes, but they came back on shortly after.

I've now realized that I will have to go back to the dealer for another $120 diagnosis to see if that made any difference, so instead I have ordered a mini VCI and will re-assess when that arrives in a few days.

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which DTCs came back?