1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery at 230K miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stewiect, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Stewiect

Stewiect Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've had my 2008 Toyota Prius for about 3 years now. I bought it with 180,000 miles on it and now it's apprachoing 230,000. In the 3 years I've owned my car the only thing that went out was the 12v battery. The only thing that worries me about the car is the hybrid battery, I think it's still the original hybrid battery. I drive about 200 miles a week and it drives just fine. I live in North Texas so the roads here are mainly flat. Twice I've driven my car in the mountains and almost immedialty my car loses a ton of power and the hybrid battery level goes all the way down. The last time I was on my way home from the mountains I couldn't get my car to go over 40mph on the highway and it was very very loud. Almost immediatly after getting back on the flat roads it began driving just fine again. That was several months ago and since then I've been afraid to take my car on another road trip.
    Anyone have an idea why my Prius won't power through the mountains? No warning lights have ever came on. I'm always very light on the gas peddal and take very good care of it, I'm averaging close to 48 miles per gallon.
    So if anyone could give me any information on why my car loses almost all power in the mountains I'd really appreciate it. I really have no idea, just thought it might be the hybrid battery.
    Second question, if it is the hybrid battery or something major would it be a good idea to purchase a newer used Gen 3 Prius(Can't afford a Gen 4 yet) instead of fixing my current one? I heard the Gen 3's have more power and slightly better reliability ratings.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Warning lights and gas mileage would confirm that there's a problem but in your case they don't indicate there's a problem. So looking at more obvious issues, such as a bad tank of gas, dirty air filter / intake system on the engine... Or maybe you're a hoarder and the car is full of 800 hundreds pounds of clutter? :) But again at 48mpg it being a battery or engine inefficiency problem seems unlikely. Looking forward to what others have to say on this one...

3. Stewiect

Stewiect Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I replaced the worn serpentine belt, oil, oil filter, and both air filters before I went to Colorado last. They weren't bad the first time either and I had no cargo.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What did the battery bar do when you were going up the hill?

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there anything preventing you from pushing the gas pedal all the way to the floor? You mentioned you're always light on the gas pedal.... Maybe experiment with how your car responds to flooring the pedal as often as possible? People might think you're a crazy driver for doing that but your MPG data and power in the hills might give a better sense of what's going on if you tried that.

6. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Most likely your HV battery is getting weak, but if no warning lights have come on the modules are still reasonably well balanced. When you say you go to the mountains, how far away from your home is that? The first time you get a warning to check the hybrid system you will likely still be able to drive it in "limp home" mode for perhaps a few hundred miles, but it will become even more sluggish than it is already. With that many miles, the entire car is probably near the end of its life. I would continue to drive it until it dies or becomes so unresponsive you can no longer put up with it. Our 2007 currently has 267K and that's the path we have chosen, although that car's replacement is currently sitting in the driveway next to it.

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had a similar thing happen when climbing a long steep hill. Basically the battery bar went slowly to 1purple bar then the engine sped up. I didn’t slow down though. It actually makes sense as the engine and wheels are never physically connected at any time. The engine was just producing as much electricity as it could and the drive motor was using it all. As soon as I hit the top of the hill the battery stared charging again.

8. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like it's a good candidate for a full battery reconditioning or a proactive battery replacement before it fails. As dependable as the Gen II is, I would hesitate to replace the car if there is nothing else wrong with it and it has been well maintained. A new HV battery is going to last at least another 8-10 years so that part of the car will no longer be a worry. A Prolong reconditioning system is a lot less money but the jury is still out on how long it can extend an old battery's life and requires the car to be "out of service" for a week, twice a year.

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure a gen 3 is a good option if your gen 2 is in excellent condition otherwise and does not burn oil like the gen 3s are prone to do. Concerns include the cost of a gen 3, its future battery issues (which are an unknown) and the 2008’s low resale value with a worn battery. Bottom line, if you like the car as a commuter, then fixing might make sense.

Quick kbb says a 2008 with 230k has a resale with the old battery (without ripping someone) of maybe $1500-2500. With a good battery maybe $3500-5000 or more especially if it had a new battery. Your old battery lasted well over 200k miles and 10 years, so a new or rebuilt at 230k would add value. Right now you can get a rebuilt with 2 year warranty for $995 installed or a new installed for $2295. Link below.

Regardless, I would be hesitant to take any 230k car on a long trip when excellent rental deals can be found for things like vacations.

I would consider getting the Dr Prius app and a $28 obd2 bluetooth reader to test and read codes. They have a load test and it will read hybrid codes including individual modules inside the battery. Testing requires a one time $12.99 charge. See link.

Pricing | Hometown Hybrids

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTP3HDG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dr. Prius / Dr. Hybrid by Big Wheel Tech Inc

#9 rjparker, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    James1964 likes this.