1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery bad

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Emilycwhite, May 14, 2020.

1. Emilycwhite

Emilycwhite New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I bought a 2013 Prius c in 2018, and the battery went bad three months later, the dealership wanted half of what I paid for the car to fix it so I used hybrid battery 911. The battery has gone bad four more times since getting it fixed through them. Granted, they have come out and fixed it each time since it’s under warranty. They have said they replace the whole battery and not just the bad cells, but my battery has gone bad again. I don’t think they want to come out any more and told me there must be something else wrong with my car. Has anyone else had an issue with the battery repeatedly going bad every few months? Could it possibly be my inverter causing the battery to fail, or is it just a bad replacement battery?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is almost always a bad rebuilt battery. how many miles on your car? might be worth shopping for a new battery, but you should read the trouble codes first.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. I take it the car had over 100,000 miles on it when the traction battery went bad the first time. Otherwise, the new battery would have been free.

Having a rebuilt battery go bad in a few months is pretty typical. It takes lots of patience and a fair bit of skill to do it right. @TMR-JWAP is over in Columbia, SC. Perhaps he would have some good suggestions. He really knows his stuff.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Emily! I’m from Nashville TN, and I’ll actually be down in Atlanta today to see my boyfriend!

Anyway, this seems to be fairly common with “rebuilt batteries” unfortunately. It’s hard to match modules in the hybrid battery pack, since they need to have the same amount of voltage, capacity, and essentially wear! No battery has been used the same, so it’s hard to piece them together.

I would look into a new battery, either aftermarket or from Toyota. Thankfully the C has a smaller battery pack so it should be a little cheaper.

Note: Prius C’s are knowing for their hybrid battery fan/vent to clog up with dust and impact cooling of the hybrid battery, causing early failure! Please please please make sure it’s clean!

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The obvious conclusion from those facts is: They are lying to you about all new cells......or the ones they use are crap.

Are there any other owner reports on here about that company ??

Their latest story sounds like they don't know what they are doing.
    Just for curiosity, what did they charge you for the initial "rebuild" ?

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes other people who bought used batteries with similar warranties (see dorman).

Let's change the scenario to buying used instead of new tires except in this scenario YOU don't know what kind of tires you're getting; only the used tire shop does which also happens to be the cheapest place around (hmmm). So for their "crazy low price" option, you're getting nearly bald mis-matched tires that too easily get flats or blow out in just a few thousand miles and you have to go back for more (bald) tires after being left stranded on the side of the road (again). FUN!

Want the reliability that Prius are known for? Get a new battery.

GOOD LUCK!

Aaron Vitolins likes this.