1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery balancing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jonscheets, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Jonscheets

Jonscheets New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I got the famed PA080 code with all the lights, so I removed my battery and did a voltage check on the cells. 26 of the cells were between 7.51 and 7.56V. the others were at 7.04V and 7.64V.

I ordered a new cell to replace the lower cell and I plan to discharge the higher cell to 7.55V.

I've read through this forum and I'm still confused on the battery balancing a bit. I've seen multiple chargers suggested and the procedure is confusing to me. It looks like if you buy 3 chargers you can only do half the battery at a time, is that right? If anyone has a specific written procedure for the balancing, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time!

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WilDavis and jeff652 like this.
  3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't expect to get several years out of an 11 year old pack by balancing with RC chargers or with a pack level charger after your HV pack has set a P0A80 code. Your modules are senior citizens and no amount of electrical Geritol is going to perk them up as you would have it.

If your Prius has relatively low miles <150,000 you should splurge for a brand new pack from Toyota. If more than 200,000 miles the decision is easier; do a DIY repair and balance and be happy with doing so every year or every other year if you are lucky. Modules will continue to fail as the years and miles pass by.

Whatever you do, don't spend upwards of $700 on a fancy charger/intelligent discharger. It's not worth it with an old HV pack like yours. You can charge the pack with a less expensive pack level charger ~$300 and use incandescent light bulbs of decreasing wattage to discharge it to regain some lost capacity.

A pack level charger has many advantages - the one I think is best is the ability to charge and discharge the pack in the car without removing the interior panels or the pack itself. But when a module fails.....it's disassemble city no matter what you have.

There is no "approved" written procedure for balancing, it's not as simple as that - unless you get the system @Prodigyplace just mentioned. These systems do have procedures unique to their equipment and work well.

tangerino, rjparker and edthefox5 like this.
  4. Jonscheets

Jonscheets New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My Prius has 125K on the clock. What are the best sources to get a brand new battery? Is Toyota the only one? I've seen the green bean batteries and similar ones that are refurb but u guess you still don't know the age and expected longevity that come with it. Thanks

5. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    New Toyota batteries from a dealership can be had for about $2100+tax if you install it yourself. First you must pay a $1350 core charge which is a PITA but unavoidable if you DIY. Another issue is getting a dealership to actually sell one to you - many will not. There are some independent hybrid battery installers who have very reasonable prices and the two I know of are located in Texas and Florida. The one in Florida would be a possibility for you once you repair the pack sufficiently so that your Prius could make the trip there.

Don't even consider a refurb. I don't know enough about the Bumblebee battery except that it is new and may contain cylindrical modules - not the prismatic modules that the OEM battery pack contains.

So there are your two options - do a DIY with a brand new pack or go to a installer who does it all of the time. I considered the latter the better option after my pack failed because the price difference between DIY and installer was not very much. The hybrid battery installer gets to keep your old pack which usually contains about 10 to 15 good modules that he/she can use to make a refurb pack with. You get a brand new battery, installed for you, without the hassle of a core charge or a search for a dealership willing to sell you one.

6. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have many customers who have extended the life of their battery by a couple years or more by using our products. There are several first person reviews attesting to this on PriusChat (Search 'Prolong Battery Systems'). By correctly load testing your modules (resting voltage is a poor indicator), replacing failed modules with good quality TESTED replacements, and caring for the battery on an ongoing basis multiple years of incremental life can be expected. You can give us a call at 800-589-0730 to talk about the process or read more about it here:
    What causes hybrid batteries to degrade and fail? - Hybrid Automotive

Here is one example of the results of our products on a Prius pack with 140k miles:
    [​IMG]

7. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your products are parasitic.

8. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You lost me with that comment. Can you please explain it to this layman?

WilDavis and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    upload_2017-9-27_20-7-14.png
    upload_2017-9-27_20-8-0.png

Attached Files:

10. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  11. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …as would many more of us (…I venture to bet!) :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about this definition of parasitic:

obtaining nourishment ($$$ from purchasers) while offering insufficient benefit in return.

The OP has an old HV pack that has failed once. The car's relatively low miles makes a brand new pack the best option, in my opinion, if the OP wants to drive his Prius another 120,000 miles which he certainly would be able to with a brand new pack assuming no other major failure occurs.

My beef is with this particular seller. He trots out his boilerplate to persuade a potential customer (sucker) that his equipment
    can allow an 11 year old HV pack to last a long time.

and

I doubt that Prius owners with 11 year old HV packs that have failed at least once would get "multiple" years of incremental life out of them with his system. What is almost certain to happen is additional module failures as the pack ages. This seller actually mentions:

And where do the purchasers of his system obtain these good quality TESTED replacements? Does he sell them?

Do you understand now?

douglasjre likes this.
  13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Jadz,

I must respectfully disagree with your assessment. I believe Jeff has very clearly and accurately explained his equipment and expectations in Post #6. Everyone is entitled to their opinion about how rechargeable batteries can or cannot be restored. Fortunately, there is plenty of evidence available in regard to restoration success. A new battery is not always a feasible option. Many people sell their cars when a dealership presents them with a $4031 estimate for a new battery. I've seen plenty of examples where swapping a single module has allowed the car to continue operating with no further alarms up to this point. I've also seen them last less than an hour. It all depends on attention to detail and sometimes a bit of luck estimating module capacity to get a good match.

I can provide plenty of data showing improvement in module capacity. I have a battery that will be reassembled and installed tomorrow or Friday. We're currently cycle testing the modules. I have capacity tests of the battery as installed in the car prior to removal. I'll perform capacity tests after installation. I would be happy to post the information here. I can post the original capacity tests, the individual module cycle tests, and the tests we'll perform after installation. We'll see what it looks like!!!!!!!!!!!!

And of course, as many of my posts will show, I am a firm proponent of using a battery salvaged from a Gen 3 wreck to rebuild Gen 2 battery assemblies. It eliminates a lot of the hassle and time requirements of trying to restore a battery. But, even with that said, older batteries can very easily be made to be very reliable.

14. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So you "doubt" his product will work for an additional 120k miles (he never claimed it would) but you can definitively claim without evidence that the product is bogus? You're being ridiculous. He has posted some evidence as well as the disclaimer that it may help but it may not. You haven't.

"Let the buyer beware" and buyers can make the determination as to buying the product, based on the evidence at hand. He's not twisting anyone's arm and a lot of us are pleased with the results.

As for tested replacements, plenty of mechanics are selling modules that are tested, listing them with the numbers so they can be matched to the rest of the modules.

2005with259k and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see alot of statements and assumptions being made here with little to no facts backing them up........sorry I'm calling BS on this one. The Prolong charger does in fact work when used properly and will help extend the life of the battery assuming the cells have not already failed (reversed). Good replacement modules are certainly available and many folks (Eric, Jeff D, myself, etc) gone over many, many times how to test both new and old modules to match them when rebuilding. If you don't understand how it can work then fine express your opinion that it's all just a bunch of hooey but that doesn't make it true either.

16. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is my opinion and I stand by it. There are many "visitors" to this site that can be persuaded that there is a simple solution to their problems with an old HV pack. It is definitely NOT that simple.

Again, this system's cost far outweighs the benefit it provides. MY OPINION and mine alone. Take it or leave it and most of you probably will leave it and that's just peachy. Waste your hard earned money if you want to.

17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So Jadz, you've provided your opinion. Explain to us the evidence that makes it valid? What is your experience? WHY is your opinion what it is? What is it based on? Help us understand your side of the argument.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    BTW, The Ni-MH Technical Bulletin put out by none other than Duracell in September of 2009 supports what Jeff's products do.

Wayback Machine

Especially Page 10 on memory effect.

#18 srellim234, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  19. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my view, why not verify from those who have used Jeff chargers on PC to confirm, instead of outrightly saying the charger doesn't work? That would settle all this.

KimPrius1and2 and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I my coworker refreshed his daughter’s Civic Hybrid and was very impressed. I know @jerrymildred has used one for quite a while. Perhaps he can post his experiences.

jerrymildred likes this.