1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Hybrid battery capacity of the Saturn Vue Greenline?

Discussion in 'GM Hybrids and EVs' started by TMR-JWAP, Mar 6, 2022.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've come into possession of (2) Saturn Vue 36v Hybrid batteries (2007 and 2009) that were included in a pallet of HV batteries I recently purchased.

Been searching online trying to find the capacity of these batteries, with no luck. Anyone have any information?

Each battery has (3) 12 volt cartridges that would be similar to 2 prius modules mounted in a metal case. Except each of these modules are 6 volts, about twice the thickness of a Prius module, and cannot be separated from each other due to the metal cartridge being spot welded. Discharging to 9.4 volts and end of charge (11,000 mah) is around 14.5 volts.

I've been discharging/charging at increasing levels all week. Being conservative since I don't know their specs. but using a 1.5 amp discharge limit (actually about 0.7amps due to 10w limit) and a 2 amp charge limit. Started at 6000 mah maximum and now I'm at 11,000. It looks like the modules aren't even blinking at 11k charge. The last one I checked had a 10696 discharge after a 11k charge. Been bumping the limit up about 1000mah each cycle trying to find the wall, but getting tired of it, lol. Only completing a cycle a day now. Wondering how far I'm going to need to go.

I could put the discharge to be limited by voltage (9.4) and no limit on charge, hoping the delta v checks will stop the charge when the module is full, but concerned since I can't be here to monitor it continuously.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just found this that gives the hint of some pretty grim specs:

"...current model continues to shares its mild hybrid technology with the Aura Hybrid sedan and its corporate cousin, the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid. Unlike the more complex systems found in the Ford Escape Hybrid and Toyota's various hybrid vehicles, the Vue Hybrid's small electric motor provides negligible assistance during acceleration and is incapable of powering the Vue by itself. Instead, the electric motor's primary purpose is to restart the gas engine when it shuts down at a stop. Most of the Vue Hybrid's fuel savings derive from the gas you're not burning when the Vue is stationary." 2009 Saturn VUE Hybrid Review & Ratings | Edmunds

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    #4 vvillovv, Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So I've actually disassembled the HV battery into it's components to get a better idea of the battery modules.

The HV battery has 3 cartridges (think of metal boxes) that are each 12 volts.

Each of these cartridges has two modules compressed by the cartridge metal walls and cross bars. There is an aluminum heat sink plate sandwiched between the modules.

Each module is 12volts and made of 10 internal cells. Imagine a prius module that was 24 inches long. Now fold it into a U shape so the + and - terminals are next to each other. This is what it looks like. The terminals on the two modules are connected by busbars in a parallel configuration. This makes the capacity of the cartridge equal to 2x the capacity of an individual module.

The cartridges are connected in series with one another to provide a 36 volt power source. The interconnecting cables look to be ~2 gauge battery cable.

I've now removed all the cartridges from both HV batteries and removed the busbars so I can connect each individual module to its own charger/discharger. I've returned the max mah setpoint to my prius setpoint of 8200 (which would be equivalent to 16,400 using the previous method). This should at least allow me to go through the cycles a bit more quickly. We'll see how this goes.

vvillovv likes this.
  7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I've been researching them a bit. It's a pretty weak attempt at a hybrid. The alternator acts as both 3 phase AC generator and a 3 phase motor. The 3 phase AC passes through a control module (think inverter) which acts as the go-between for the HV battery. The hybrid part is the alternator acting as a 3 phase AC motor to provide some assist to the engine. The ignition key starts the engine (12v starter motor like a normal ICE). The engine shuts off when the car stops, etc, and the hybrid system restarts the engine as needed, until the key is removed. Pretty minimal fuel savings compared to the cost. The batteries got a pretty bad rep due to some early temp sensor problems, but so far they seem to be testing well.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The cartridge
    IMG_0318.JPG IMG_0319.JPG IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0321.JPG

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The more I learn about it the more it seems like the super duper special technology is an: "Advanced engine start technology with super modified high performance 12v starter battery configured to revolutionary new AC 3-phase electric motor power. (regenerative breaking not included)."

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There was regenerative braking; it wouldn't be a hybrid without it. It just couldn't recapture much with a small battery.

BAS/eAssist is a mild hybrid system. They help some with fuel economy, but their real impact only comes when most of the fleet is equipped with them. Unfortunately for BAS, components were expensive back then, which made making it a standard feature a no go. It was cheaper than HSD of that time.

Today, such mild hybrids cost half as much or less, and are running on a 48V system.

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Doesn't really seem like regenerative braking? More like regenerative coasting because the motor doesn't have enough power to slow the vehicle down? Would that be accurate?

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Any resistance that decelerates the car is braking. Engine braking happens when coasting in gear.

Mazda's i-Eloop regenerative braking system is probably as capable as BAS braking. With active grill shutters it improved the Mazda6 combined MPG by 2 when introduced.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Still sounds likes regenerative without legit braking... I could probably slow the car down faster by holding a garbage can lid out the window.

But at least its more honest than Subaru putting the PZEV logo on their car that has no motor-battery hybrid aspect. It comically stands for: Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. :)

#13 PriusCamper, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Downshifting can be stronger braking than the Prius regen.

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol, they do after all call you trollbait, don't they...