1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery cooling system bad?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Josh K, May 5, 2017.

1. Josh K

Josh K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From what I can tell, the previous owner followed all of the Toyota recommended service intervals (oil changes, coolant flush, etc). No record of cooling fan cleaned. I bought it from a non-Toyota dealer so I don't have the previous owner's contact info.

I did find in the maintenance records that the car threw a P3014 (weak cell block 4) code back in early August of last year. The Dorman battery in the car was remanufactured on 8-15-2016, so I'm guessing the previous owner replaced the battery shortly after seeing the code. I just emailed Dorman, so I will see if the warranty is transferable.

I just put 4000 miles on the car in two weeks without any issues (took a trip through the midwest). Car seems to run great!

2. Berkay

Berkay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello! I had a similar situation today and when i droped my car to mechanic shop i saw the orange fluid came outside from my hybrid battery pack. Do you have any idea what is the problem and what i need to do. I am an international student and am really in a bad situation. I do not know what i need to do. If you have any idea or experience about this situation, could you help me? Thanks

Attached Files:

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    orange corrosion? all you can do is wait for him to take the pack apart and see what's going on inside

how many miles on her?

were there any trouble lights?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's no orange liquid or corrosion to be had in that area. Something had to have spilled in the trunk area and settled there.

bisco likes this.
  5. Berkay

Berkay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It is on 137000 miles and sometimes the check engine light came up but it disappeared. I drove my car one day ago in normal condition before the situation but when i turned the car on next day morning the engine didn’t work and i saw a warning about engine on the screen i just drove it less than a mile and when the battery was almost finished i parked it and towed it to mechanic shop. The mechanic guy told me today the engine has problem because of less oil but i think it is impossible because i put oil in the car one week ago before the situation. I don’t know what am i gonna do. This car is my everything just i am trying to save it.

6. Berkay

Berkay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    As i see from the hybrid battery you re right. Something went wrong and it spilled. What kind of reasons can be caused this problem and what is the best way to fix this problem as soon as possible and cheap way?