1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Dead at 107k miles!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Meh1483, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Meh1483

Meh1483 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm livid and will never be purchasing another Toyota. My 2007 with 107k miles has been nothing but a headache. Now the dealership is telling me my Hybrid battery needs to be replaced. Called corporate and they will do nothing for me. My brake actuator is on the verge of failing as well and they will do nothing about that either. I wanted to get at least another 10 years out of this car. What should I do? Just shell out the $2700 for a new battery and then probably another $2500 for a new actuator eventually. I have taken excellent care of this car. Oil changes every 5k miles. Kept up with all scheduled maintenance. Just got new front brakes, new coolant valve pump, new engine water pump, new blower motor. And recently had all of the windows tinted. I was quoted around $1000 to just replace individual cells in the hybrid battery, but not sure if that's worth it if I'm planning on keeping the car for awhile. Sweet jesus, please give me advice and positive vibes. My blood is boiling.

Attached Files:

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Relax, take a deep breath and advice will be on the way.

I believe member @JC91006 is in CA and has a couple batteries available that are built with 2015/2016/2017 (?) modules that would significantly beat a dealer price.

Also, many members will recommend purchasing a brake actuator from a wrecked vehicle/part vehicle (~$200 on ebay) and have that installed. Also will recommend waiting until the car codes for the brakes. It may be years before failure actually happens.

There are ways around dealership (stealership) prices.

How mechanical/electrical are you? There are many causes of P0A80. Another member recently was told he needed two new ecus due to a battery fault. Found it was actually a loose connection in the battery that had damaged a voltage sensing wire.

SFO and JC91006 like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What part of CA are you in?

I think you first should ask Toyota Corporate for a goodwill warranty. Your car is only 1 year out of warranty, but has very low miles for a 2007. They might be able to assist you in getting a new battery. You can ask the dealer to make this goodwill request for you.

I actually don't think your actuator is on it's way out, unless there are already warning lights and codes that point to that specific failure. You shouldn't be too concerned with this item and just focus on the battery.

The battery once replaced, will get you another 10 years of reliable service

#3 JC91006, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    SFO likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There are only two kinds of Gen2 owners: Those that have dealt with HV battery issues and those that will. You are now in the former category along with tens of thousands of others including myself. Although we are one category, everyone in it has a unique situation. I have a very low miles 06 with no other issues, so a new Toyota pack made sense/cents. You're different and need to asses your priorities.

You have several options. In order of costs high to low:
    1) replace with new Toyota pack
    2) rebuild with new aftermarket cells
    3) replace with used/rebuilt pack
    4) repair current pack DIY
    5) sell as is.

GOOD LUCK!

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. Meh1483

Meh1483 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, everyone. I've calmed down a bit. Decided to go with a new battery. $2219 parts, labor, and tax out the door. It's a shop that specializes in hybrids. He did tell me that even though it will be a "new" battery, there's no telling how long it will last because none of the "new" ones are the same as the original batteries that came with the cars. That's a little unnerving, but whatever. I absolutely cannot afford a new car or monthly payment right now, and don't have $10k to shell out for a decent used one. Guess I'll just sink my money into this one. I'm guessing the Gen 2s are the worst out of the bunch?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think if you try and request a goodwill warranty from Toyota, you'll get an original Toyota battery for less than $2219

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    actually, gen 2 are supposedly better than gen 3. the jury is still out on gen 4, and gen 1 doesn't count.
    in your case, the low miles per year may be part of the problem, along with other factors.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Is it new genuine Toyota pack or not? $2200+ for a rebuilt pack is crazy.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He did tell me that even though it will be a "new" battery, there's no telling how long it will last because none of the "new" ones are the same as the original batteries that came with the cars.

You need to get some clarification as to what he truly means. A NEW battery is as good as the original, although some parts from your original battery will need to be swapped over to it (the electronics portion). If he's putting in a rebuilt unit, you need to go somewhere else.

kenoarto likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty clear its not a band new Toyota pack which means its just a whack a mole repair. They find out which individual battery module in the pack is the worst of the bunch and replace it with another 11 year old module that's a little better (for now) then pat you on the behind and send you down the road. Hilarity ensues about 3 months later when the pack fails again and your blood is boiling so bad your head explodes.
    Its quite a racket with the G2 all kinds of idiots on Craigslist running over to your house to blow your car up.

Your paying $2200 for a rebuilt battery pack which is a thorough rumping.

NEW Toyota pack is brand new cells.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The new ones (as opposed to "new") are every bit as good as the original, if not better. What he's about to sell you is virtually guaranteed to make you even more angry down the road than you were on your first post. (As per what @edthefox5 said above.) I also suggest asking for some goodwill help from Toyota. If they refuse, there are other options way better than buying more problems. $2219 for trouble is way too expensive when it's all around us for free.

dolj, Raytheeagle and edthefox5 like this.