1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery failed, can't find that walkthrough. And cell recommendations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius8654, Jun 2, 2016.

1. prius8654

prius8654 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    recently my 2nd gen Prius hybrid battery failed. I plan on replacing the 1 failed cell (cell 11 IIRC) and possibly doing a rebalance. This site is fantastic and has been very helpful so far,

I'm pretty sure I saw a walkthrough on hybrid battery cell replacement, I did a search but I can't find the post anymore...can someone show me where that good walkthrough was (or maybe it was on another site, i can't recall) I have a technical background and I do feel comfortable tackling the job, slowly and methodically. Also some good info on rebalancing, I think there was a specific charger that was highly recommended to purchase?

What recommendations do you have regarding suppliers for the hybrid battery cell. I've heard ebay can be a good place to get a cell for about $25-30 - do you have specific sellers who are known to sell good cells (don't want some guy just shipping his/her junk to me).

Thanks in advance!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Youtube has the "walkthrough" information you are looking for. They not all be good walkthrough videos, but it'll give you an idea what you're up against.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are taking a crap shoot using the Bay of Fleas. Also, expect to pay a bit more than that for good modules. You get what you pay for. PM EricBecky, a member here, who can put you in touch with a couple of reputable sellers. In any case ask any seller what the capacity (in mAh) of any module you are interested in. If they can't/won't answer, stay clear.

Just a point of clarification on terminology, a cell is the smallest unit of a battery, with a nominal voltage of 1.2 V. In the Prius the Battery is made up of 28 modules (with a nominal voltage of 7.2 V). A module contains 6 cells. The module is the smallest unit that can be accessed and manipulated, as the individual cells cannot be accessed. Toyota monitor pairs of modules. They call these module pairs banks, and these banks have a nominal voltage of 14.4 V. The banks (and modules) are numbered from the end of the battery opposite the ECU in the Gen II.

In terms of chargers, read this post by S Keith, a respected and knowledgable member here. Also read the three links in his signature.

Hope that helps.

prius8654 likes this.