1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery failure light and red triangle @116k 2005

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Over100k, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Over100k

Over100k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 Prius with about 166k miles has been sitting for a month. I had someone start it up weekly while I was gone, but did not realize that it needed to be driven. I saw on this forum that it could have been hooked up to ?tender while I was gone. Too late now.

Anyway, now it seems that the hybrid battery has malfunctioned. When I started it up yesterday, the general red triangle warning as well as the brake warnings were there then I noticed the hybrid battery failure warning. I read a little in the forum and decided to drive around. The brake light warning went away. The battery would not stay filled while driving. It would fill, the lights go from green to blue, I think, and then drain. Now it does not fill but stays a brownish color of one bar at the bottom. I went to a local repair shop yesterday as someone suggested and got the 12 volt battery tested. It tested out very strongly and they could do no more than that. So I reluctantly drove to the dealer. They could not get me in. I will have to likely go back today.

So at this mileage and with these warning lights I may be looking at a hybrid battery replacement or more.
    *I want to know how to find out definitively what needs to be done. My guess is that only a Toyota dealer can do the diagnosis.
    *Secondly I want to know my options for replacing the battery. I would not be able to do that myself. I am reading in the forum about ordering from various places.
    *Lastly, is there anyone's other than a Toyota dealer who can do the work? This is the worst area to own a Toyota product EVER! The service is awful, they upsell anything they can, and advise unnnecessary work. I moved here -Huntsville, just in the last few years. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry to hear of your troubles.

The diagnosis can be done by a shop that has access to Techstream. That is how you know what codes are there and what to go after. This does not need to be done by a dealer but they do have the software and usually charge one hours labor for the diagnostic fee.

As for reputable shops, @bwilson4web maybe able to assist.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think you have a battery issue, more likely a cooling issue. A battery issue would have more warning lights, just the 2 in your picture.

You should check your oil and coolant levels first, then check if your water pump and belt is working properly

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you carry a dog in your car, make sure the fan for the battery is clean and not clogged

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah... What @JC91006 said above is a good place to start.... Also this might be simple issue of one of your hybrid Batter modules being slightly less charged than the other modules. By putting the car in drive and holding your foot on the break while flooring the accelerator you can force charge the hybrid battery pack back up. Looks like the nearest mechanic that sells hybrid battery servicing via the Prolong Hybrid maintenance system is in Huntsville, Georgia (170 miles) from you, though their might be a hybrid mechanic closer, that's just the one listed on the Prolong website: Prolong Grid Charger Dealer Installer Map – Hybrid Automotive

Stan Butts Mobile Hybrid Battery Repair
    Reseller Address
    Douglasville, Georgia 30135
    Telephone
    (470) 215-4751

If you want to work on the car yourself, that's the least expensive way and myself and other would be happy to walk you thru that...