1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dani1166, Jun 26, 2015.

1. dani1166

dani1166 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,
    Update on my hybrid battery issues. Today was the day it decided it had enough and lit up the dashboard as i was driving. So I took it to my toyota dealer. A few hours later I got a call saying they still need to run more diagnostic tests on it but it looks like the hybrid battery failure. It is now sitting at the dealer awaiting my decision. I was given 3 options. 1- brand spanking new battery at a cost of $3500 australian dollars plus labor. 2- re conditioned hybrid battery that could be remarkibly cheaper then new obviously. 3- go to the local wreckers and find a second hand one. Apart from the cost i was leaning towards getting a new one considering there would be a new 8 year warranty on that. But im considering my options with the re conditioned one. Not sure on exact price for that but I would be interested in any advice from those who have gone for that option over the new. How has it worked out for you and would anyone know if there would be any kind of warranty on the re conditioned ones?

I would appreciate any feedback and advice anyone wishes to give on the matter. I love my car and don't plan on giving her up anytime soon. I knew this time would come in the life of the prius and although cost is an issue for me, I know these things happen and what needs to be done must be done.

Cheers.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the US the warranty on a new traction battery is for one year, so I suggest you confirm the warranty terms in your locale.

There are many posts from US owners who have had difficulty with a "remanufactured" battery so I advise caution regarding that.

What is the price of a 3G used battery from a salvage yard and how does that compare to the alternatives? The concept would be to remove the 28 modules from that battery and install them in your battery case.

#2 Patrick Wong, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    8 year warranty on new is remarkable. we only get one year. can you shop around, or is there only one dealer? can't add much to patricks post, reconditioned batteries are iffy, so you have to be prepared for potential problems over and over. some people get luckier than others.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep,
    In the USA if you buy a brand new battery from Toyota, you're only afforded a 1 year warranty.
    I WISH it reset to an additional 8 years, it would make buying a new one from Toyota almost a no-brainer.

Let us know once you confirm. IF in Australia the battery warranty is 8 years, I want to be indignant, upset and jealous. Probably in that order.

As far as your ultimate choice goes, if you plan to keep the vehicle a significant number of years more, than a new battery STILL might be the best choice, even if the warranty isn't as long as you thought. I think it's the best choice, if NOT the cheapest.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    o/p, are you saying the dealer gave you those 3 options?

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, I think that op is just making an assumption about the warranty here. I'm pretty sure it's only a one year warranty on new (replacement) parts here too.

bisco likes this.
  7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    option 4 rebuild it yourself for under $100 and 3 hours time..watch the youtube videos..easy as ordering a pizza

8. dani1166

dani1166 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I will confirm with the dealer on Monday about how long the new battery warranty actually is. He did tell me 8 years over the phone but I'll check again. My car has done just over 100,000 km (about 62,000 miles) does it seem unusual for the traction battery to go so soon? It is just over an 8 year old car. In fact the dealer told me I'm only about 3 months over the warranty on it (typical). After all the advice I'm convinced a new battery probably is the better way to go.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ordering a pizza can't kill you

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not normal, but can sometimes be caused by car parked in sun/heat all the time. i would ask the dealer to contact toyota for you, and ask for a 'good will' warranty. they often come through in these case, if even for a percent of the cost. all the best!(y)

dani1166 likes this.
  11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's pretty sad that it happened just after the warranty expired, especially since you apparently noticed the battery starting to have problems well over a year ago.
    2007 Prius hybrid battery problem on a hot day | PriusChat
    HV Battery losing charge quickly and frequently | PriusChat

To be honest I would have advised you to take it for some nice mountain driving and finish off that weak pack before the warranty was up if I had known it was so close.

The warranty here in Oz is 8 years or 160,000km, and that 8 years should start from when the car was first sold. Do you happen to know the date in 2007 when it was purchased?

12. dani1166

dani1166 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it was first purchased in April of 07. However I bought the car second hand 3 years later.