1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Fan Fuse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeff S., Jul 20, 2016.

1. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have never heard my hybrid battery fan (2009 138K)

Is it possible the fuse is blown? Would a warning light come on if the fuse blew?

I have gotten great gas mileage and generally my battery meter reads between 7 and 4 bars unless climbing a mountain pass or sitting in traffic.

Thanks for any responses.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the fan is not working, you would get a big red triangle warning on your dash. You're not suppose to hear that fan unless it's running full speed. Lower speeds are usually not heard

jeff652 and WilDavis like this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! I have never noticed the hybrid-battery fan running on my 2009 Gen II (113k miles) until I recently started grid-charging (Prolong Charging/Discharging system from Hybrid Automotive - see threads passim) and then I only hear it if I listen close to the grille near the rear passenger-seat shoulder, right side, and the air-flow can be felt distinctly). I think when the car is under way, I think it would be difficult to hear from the driver's seat what with all the other noises, perhaps I'll put a passenger in that seat and have them check if and when the fan comes on! I think a warning light is a grand idea! :)(y)

jeff652 likes this.
  4. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the fan is not working, the pack will get too warm and the red triangle will come on. I think the code for pack over temp is P1444 but I could be wrong. Bottom line if the red triangle is not coming on then the fan is likely working fine :)

BTW My name is Jeff S also, Jeff Sloan. What are the odds hahah

#4 jeff652, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never heard any of my 3 pri fans running, but i drive kindly and it doesn't go much higher than 100 degrees here, and then only for a few days at a time.

i did put a kleenex over the grille once, because i also wondered, and it held it there.