1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Fan Speeds

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MattLTH, Jan 25, 2018.

1. MattLTH

MattLTH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, Chatters,

I'm new to PriusChat, but now I have a question:

A brief background: My original Gen2 (2007) hybrid battery started failing (DTC P0A80 and P3015), so I ordered a rebuilt battery (with Gen3 modules) from Falcon Hybrid. It arrived today, and I installed it myself, but I decided not to put in the rear seats, side panels, or cargo covers on until after a series of test drives. (Note: All vents and ducts have been re-attached for safety.)

The test drives exhibited the same rapid charging and draining as the original battery, plus the P0A80 error. But the new battery is showing P3016 rather than P3015, so different module pairs are producing different errors on the two different battery packs. I've sent an after-hours message to Falcon for direction on how to handle situations like this.

But here's my real question: Does anyone know if the normal operation of the battery fan is related to the vehicle speed? Since all the side panels are still off, I think I can hear the hybrid cooling fan running, and it seems to speed up and slow down in relation to the vehicle speed. (When the P0A80 error occurs, the fan constantly runs at high-speed until I reset the code with my ScanGaugeII.) I can't tell if it's the battery fan or just road noise I'm hearing. (Ambient air temperatures were 40 - 50 degrees Fahrenheit during the test drives.) I thought the fan is off until the battery needs cooling, so I'm wondering if the MPH-based behavior of the fan is indicative of the battery failure I'm experiencing. Rather than put the old battery back in, I thought I'd ask the question here first.

Thanks in advance,

MattLTH

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nice. FHS rocks. Your described symptoms sound like you got a POS for your hard earned $$. Take a peek through an opening in the cover and get a serial number off one of the modules. We'll be able to see what the manufacture date is for the module.

The fan speed is not related to car speed. Yes, it goes to full speed upon battery fault. Wish you were closer, I could blow the doors off anything FHS could offer.

SFO and strawbrad like this.
  3. MattLTH

MattLTH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, TMR-JWAP. I'm beginning to believe this battery is a POS, indeed. Falcon will send a new battery AFTER I send the POS back, which means I'll probably put the old battery in for the time being. (Ugh.) I'll try and score a serial number off one of the modules and let you know what I find. I don't want to take the whole thing apart; that high voltage scares the crap out of me.

I'll be in South Carolina next, but not with my car. There are no battery rebuilders here in my state, which is why I had to order from out of town. I hope Falcon can get me a working battery, and really wish you did live closer.

Thanks for the info and advice,

MattLTH

bisco and SFO like this.
  4. MattLTH

MattLTH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I pulled the Falcon battery and will ship it back to them tomorrow. The item I ordered was a Gen 2 Battery with Gen 3 Cells, and I peaked under the cover and looked for a module serial number. The only one I could read was:

22ZN6N14685T
    MB2

I hope that is the S/N. I'd be curious to learn if it's actually a Gen 3 module, though the nomenclature Falcon uses is Gen 3 'cells' instead of 'modules.' I don't know if different generation cells can go in different modules, so that's something I will ask when I chat with them tomorrow.

Thanks!

MattLTH

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    22ZN= 22nd day of December, 2012.

MattLTH likes this.
  6. MattLTH

MattLTH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's great news! Thanks for that.

Now I'm wondering: Is there something else that might be causing P0A80 and P3015 (original battery) / P3016 (Falcon battery) errors? I replaced the 12v battery with an AMG spiral battery last October, and I also charged it with a Noco battery before test driving with each battery, but still got the same errors.

Would you recommend I take the car to a service center and ask for a diagnostic analysis before I install another traction battery? I have a ScanGaugeII (purchased summer of 2017) that has provided me with the DTC codes. But since I'll be waiting a week or so for the replacement battery, is there a more comprehensive user diagnostic tool that isn't terribly expensive? I'm not sure if my Prius is capable of damaging the traction battery due to some non-symptomatic malfunction. It just seems strange to have both batteries exhibit nearly identical errors.

MattLTH

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nothing else is causing those errors.
    P3015, p3016 are simply because of bad battery.
    No need to put any other thinking into it for you.

This is for Falcon to figure out.
    For them there are quite a few things to check:
    - corrosion at voltage sensing wire ring terminals
    - corrosion on connector at computer end of sensing wire
    - corrosion on hv battery voltage sensing connector pins
    - torque specs of nuts on the modules posts
    - stripped nuts on module posts
    - stripped threads on module posts
    And of course the modules themselves, capacity, internal resistance, and how they play with the on her modules.

MattLTH likes this.
  8. MattLTH

MattLTH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, ericbecky. That’s what I’d assumed, but it’s nice to have confirmation.

And thanks for the checklist of what Falcon may have overlooked. I may send it their way to have them verify the quality of the next battery before they ship it to me.

MattLTH

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Had a customer just the other day whose battery was fine for a while, then suddenly started throwing codes.

Turns out the nuts on the modules came loose, so voltage readings made the car code.

I can imagine for a high volume rebuilder it could be easy to make an error like this. But usually you never really know what went run. Send it back and wait for the next one.

Raytheeagle and MattLTH like this.