1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by barrystein, Oct 4, 2017.

1. barrystein

barrystein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My 2005 had a high temperature warning light coming on. The 3rd party repair shop told me the hybrid battery compartment needed to be cleaned out. The charged me $390 to do it.

After the repair I still had the same problem. I took it to a Toyota Dealer. They told me the private shop did not put in the hybrid battery filter, and because of that more debris got in the battery compartment and was causing the warning light to go off.

I went back to the private dealer and asked him to pay for the repair cost at the Toyota Dealer, because they had to fix their repair.

The private shop claims that the filter is an optional item and does not need to be installed.

Comments?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct,
    the gen 2 did not come with a filter, and toyota came out with one many years later after discovering there was a potential for clogging. how many miles after the first shop cleaned it, did you have a problem again, and what exactly are you carrying in your car that is getting in there and clogging it, wookies?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. barrystein

barrystein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Only went 155 miles, and the warning lights started coming on again, and the dealer found more debris in there. I'm not carrying anything out of the ordinary that should be causing a problem.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    then the first shop didn't clean it properly, or at all. there is no way you could clog it in 155 miles, if your not feeding it into the grille, filter or not.
    how many years/miles did you own it before the first incident?

btw, debris in the hybrid battery compartment is not the problem, it's the cooling fan and ductwork that need to be kept clean. but a car that doesn't regularly transport shedding animals and the like never has this problem.

#4 bisco, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2017
  5. barrystein

barrystein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    WE owned the car for about 4000 miles. I got in an accident, The private shop did some repairs. Afterwards the warning lights started coming on. They cleaned the hybrid battery compartment, and the warning lights still came on intermittently. Took it back, they claimed there was nothing wrong. So we took it to the dealer.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    kinda baffling. would be interesting to know exactly what the dealer did and found. how much did they charge you? how many miles have you driven since the dealer fix?

7. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something's not adding up here. I've seen dozens of Gen 2 Prius with clogged battery cooling fans but never have I seen a high temperature warning light, at least not that had anything to do with the battery.

Please post a picture of the light(s) that is coming on and ask both shops for a list of trouble codes.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. barrystein

barrystein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PriusGuy32 likes this.
  9. barrystein

barrystein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This was the warning light that came on as well as the high temperature light at other times. They were intermittent

[​IMG]

#6 barrystein, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2017