1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Euro, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Euro

Euro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2008 Toyota Prius
    160k miles

see photo for dash indicators

No issues outside a recent Cat Converter theft. Had it replaced by Toyota 1 year ago.

Turned on the car this morning, starts up just fine, but I’m getting all these indicators on my dash. My first thought is hybrid battery. Any other ideas?

If it is the hybrid battery, I don’t have $2-3k to drop to buy a new one as I’m a student and this is my only vehicle.

Questions:

1) likely hybrid battery?
    2) if it is the hybrid battery, am I literally out of luck here, or are the alternatives?
    Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well as a college student, you may want to start and learn to do a little DIY to your car so you don't have to pay the big bucks when you need service. The maintenance light that's on, when was the last time you did maintenance on the car?

Those lights just mean there's a problem detected, without knowing symptoms, you can't even guess at it.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

there is no way to know. the lights can mean a thosand things. more importantly, they mean you have specific trouble codes to be read. as a college student, are you tech savvy? 50 bucks and a windows laptop can provide answers

4. Euro

Euro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About 6 months ago. It was a smooth maintenance and nothing out of the norm was detected. I haven’t seen that maintenance light on. All these lights are really just sudden. So I guess I should take it to the dealer and have them run diagnostics.

5. Euro

Euro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea I have a windows laptop. I can spend the $50 - is that for a self diagnostic program or something?

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you want mini vci and tech stream. you can search here for adviceon what to buy and how to use it. big learning curve, it's a bootleg chinese system.
    or you can pay a dealer $150 to read the codes

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chances are, those are the lights that come up with a hv battery failure. On a 2008, 14 years old, it wouldn't surprise me if that is the problem.

But a quick read of the codes would tell you P0A80 or not

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like a nice low mileage car... If you take it to a Toyota Stealership they'll likely try to tell you to replace everything for $3K to $6K. But take it to a legit mechanic and in some case I've been able to fix it in five minutes for free due to a corroded plug going to the cooling fan.

First step is to read the error codes so you know exactly what's wrong. Get yourself one of these devices so you can use an app on your phone like Dr. Prius app to read and clear error codes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265484403768