1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery keeps failing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by huntfishandtruck, Jan 16, 2017.

1. huntfishandtruck

huntfishandtruck New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought a 2005 Prius with 85k miles (I believe the previous owner was a snow bird, hence the low miles) in August 2016 from a used car dealership that sells only hybrids. The dealer puts a new battery in any car he sells over 10 years old. When he went to replace this one he found that Toyota had replaced the battery in April 2015. He still went ahead and replaced the battery. In November the battery failed and I had it replaced under the battery manufacturers warranty. Now it is doing all the strange things it did right before it failed in November. First the battery goes from 2 purple bars to all but 1 green bar in a mile or 2 of driving, and second when accelerating it is sluggish - feels like starting out in 3rd gear (I know its a CVT). Is there something wrong with my car that is causing the hybrid batteries to fail? The fan vent isn't blocked, although there are car seats next to it.

2. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm suspecting that the perfectly good Toyota battery was replaced with a mediocre remanufactured battery.

dolj likes this.
  3. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If there is a brand new OEM battery in there, this won't happen

4. huntfishandtruck

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The replacement was a Dorman battery. Are these known for causing problems? Two failures in 6 months seems really bad.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    yes. all refurb batteries are suspect, and only as good as the warranty. have you gone back to the dealer?
    if you like your car, and intend to keep it awhile, you might want to invest in a new toyota battery, otherwise, it's a crapshoot.

dolj likes this.
  6. huntfishandtruck

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The warranty is 3 years on the battery but its $100 in labor to get it replaced. I used dealer's shop for the replacement. Are the odds of this being a computer issue pretty low?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, never heard of it. you can read hundreds of posts here from people having problems with rebuilt batteries.
    they replace the battery cells that test bad, but all the remaining cells are old and can go bad at any time.
    the worst are fly by night guys who aren't around anymore when your battery dies under warranty.

you might get lucky on the next one, and get a few years out of it, you never know.

dolj likes this.
  8. huntfishandtruck

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Could my 12v be dying and causing some of these issues?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, but it's always worth testing it, because a bad 12v can leave you stranded. it can cause a lot of lights to come on because the computers aren't getting minimum voltage. but it cannot damage your hybrid battery.

keep in mind, you're not getting a 'new' battery.

if it's true that toyota put a new battery in and he replaced it, then bhtooefr is probably correct in post #2.

i'm assuming this isn't tampa hybrids.

dolj likes this.
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, Dorman (or any "remanufacturer", for that matter). That is your problem. If the sales yard took out a genuine new Toyota Battery and replaced it with a Dorman, then that is most certainly what is causing all your issues. No matter what the processes of the re-manufacturter, a re-manufactured battery is still an old battery. Unless they replace all the modules in the battery with new, which they don't, as only Toyota can buy them, then it is a crap shoot as to quality and the longevity of the repair. Two failures in six months seems bad, because it is. But, it is par for the (re-manufacturing/refurbishing) course. Even though you can have the battery replaced under warranty, you still have a ($100) labor cost each time, so it is not really free and there is the cost to you of the inconvenience of your car being out of action for at least a day while they "repair" it.
    If it was your original computer, yes, it would be low, but with a Dorman you will have received somebody else's second-hand computer as part of the battery package. Although these are normally quite reliable, problems can develop at the connection point and it is usual for Toyota to recommend changing the computer in any case, just be be thorough, more than anything else.
    As bisco said, no. There can be weird symptoms cause by low or inconsistent voltage to the various car computers (of which there are at least 11), but it will not damage your HV battery in any way. It will not hurt to check the voltage and condition of the 12 V battery and remediate as appropriate, in any case.

bisco has given you very good advice and I'm commenting more to add support to his advice.

The best way forward, as I see it, is if you can make some kind of deal with the used car dealer to have a new Toyota HV battery installed with the used car dealer contributing to the cost, depending on how they represented the battery to you (if they said they put in a new battery, then you probably have a good case) as I doubt the one they took out originally is still around.

Good luck getting this sorted, and, if you don't mind, let us know how it turns out.

#10 dolj, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  11. huntfishandtruck

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for everyone's help. And no, it wasn't Tampa Hybrids.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    glad to hear it, i figured it wasn't. all the best!(y)

13. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You're getting excellent advice from Bisco and Dolj.

If you're thinking long-term with this vehicle, you should pursue ways of getting a new Toyota battery.

I'd be asking the dealer why in the world he would have replaced a 1 year old NEW OEM Toyota battery. Just a guess... but I bet it found its way into the owner's or lead mechanic's car.

14. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't see how that is profitable to do unless you paying a minimum of $3000 above private party value.

15. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    He's installing rebuilt Dorman batteries that he's buying wholesale -- probably paying less than $1000.

16. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the record.

I NEVER install rebuilt batteries in the cars I sell. If a car needs a replacement I will installed a retrofitted 2010-2015 used battery and give a one year warranty or occasionally a brand new Toyota battery.

Rebuilt batteries rarely last more than 6 months even if they come with a 3 year warranty. Avoid rebuilt/re manufactured batteries regardless of who the manufacturer is.

Todd thompson
    Tampa Hybrids Inc.

05PreeUs, Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  17. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any idea why most rebuilt batteries fail so quickly, does it have something to do with reconditioning or lack thereof ?

Would it be a good idea to charge/balance a newly purchased rebuilt battery before initially installing it? (is that even possible with a Dorman, or would that void the warranty?)

Any opinions on the Hybrid Automotive Prolong product line?

#17 SFO, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  18. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    REbuilding batteries and warrantying them is a challenge.

There are 168 cells in the pack.
    6 cells in a module
    2 modules make up a block
    14 blocks in a Gen 2 Prius pack
    This means each block has with 12 cells in it.

What are the chances when you take a bunch of random modules and put them in a pack that it will perfectly match?

Here is some things to consider when matching modules
    - Capacity
    - Internal resistance (How much power can flow in and out of it. Or if using a pipe example, how constricted the pipe is.)
    - Self Discharge (How much drains out of it when it is resting unused)

It's really, really hard to get all 168 cells to match.
    Even for the big guys who have access to thousands of modules that have been catalogued and sorted by the parameters.

And don't get me started about the guys who throw 1 random module in their already failing pack and expect the "fix" to "last for years".
    It ain't gonna happen.

#18 ericbecky, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Raytheeagle and TampaPrius.com like this.
  19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a couple of typos, they should read 168 cells.

20. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Fixed.