1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery life, must use, and other myths

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by coach81, Oct 28, 2012.

1. ZenuloPri

ZenuloPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Shortly before I purchased my 2005 Prius it had a new battery pack installed in it for $3500 at a local Toyota dealer. I have no idea why because I bought the car from someone trying to make some money off it. I paid $1,500 and I believe he paid $1,300 or $1,400 for it from its original owner the day before. It was unbelievable that I got the car it was a facebook listing but the guy got impatient and when I said I had cash in hand he said it could be mine if I got there before the other person. He's a shyster but we both got one hell of a deal on a great car. Had around 162k miles on it when I bought it and the battery pack was replaced at 155k. Just hit 196k and its still going strong. Haven't had any problems at all besides a dead 12v battery a couple times. This car saves me a ton of money! I went from spending $30+ on gas every two day to spending $25+/- a week. I also drive a a lot more than I use to too, I can actually afford to drive around for no reason and not go broke lol

RCO likes this.
  2. ZenuloPri

ZenuloPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Not sure if I should edit or not waiting approval but want to add to my last post.

The new battery pack that was installed in my car seems like it has more capacity then the original but I have no idea I've never driving or owned another Prius before. I can't remember where I read this but EV range on the original pack was only around a mile but I can drive a mile at 35-40 MPH in electric and use only one or two bars of the battery. The longest I've gone without the engine starting is around 6 miles on a gravel road going 15-20 MPH. I usually average around 51 mpg with normal highway speed driving. I live in a rural area so my trips are never very short and 85% highway driving.

CEBA Battery and RCO like this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat sir. Glad that you are enjoying the Prius so much and looking may you continue. The HV battery of the heart of the Prius and does much of the work, so a new one will improve the driving experience. There's always a 'but' - unfortunately and as with any older car the extra years do bring wear and tear problems which may, or may not be just around the corner. Three are Prius Sages far wizer than me so will come back and explain what could go wrong in future, but when the time comes, they'll be there to give help also. (y)

4. CEBA Battery

CEBA Battery Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great!!