1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery lower when starting

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Adam H, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Adam H

Adam H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've noticed often the hybrid battery level is lower when starting than when I shut the car off. My thinking is: maybe it was used for cooling either the battery itself or the engine. Is that correct and normal?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It happens to people from time to time, don't worry about it. I'm sure you are doing it, just make sure you are in fact turning off the car properly (simply pressing the power button once stopped to turn the car OFF) and not leaving it in ready mode causing the engine to cycle on and off as battery level drops.

dave77 likes this.
  3. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine is low everytime I get home for the day because that last mile or two I try to keep it in EV mode which will draw heavily on the hybrid battery. I wouldn't worry about it unless you were going to park the car for a few days. As far as being lower the next day than when you parked it, how much lower?

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Also, full is not ful and empty is not empty. The battery never fully charges nor fully discharges so the battery level indicator really shouldn't be watched and worried about, the computer will manage battery levels as appropriate.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many bars in the evening and how many in the morning?

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is quite common due to the infrequent updating of the battery charge indicator.

If the last leg of your journey home is on battery the charge will drop, but the display doesn't update quickly so you only see the final level when you turn the car back on.

7. Adam H

Adam H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    For example I had indicator showing full minus one bar when I shut off the engine, and 3 bars when I came back next day to restart.

Also one time when the car was shut off I started hearing some motor sound coming from the back of the vehicle. Is that the battery fan coming on to cool the battery?

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it was about 5 hours after turning off the car, it was the evaporative control system.

9. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My battery indicator while driving is always 2 bars below full - and if you watch the energy display on the mfd... it will sometimes stop charging - draw a bit - then charge a bit - then draw a bit ... sort of a float charge if you will....
    i have only gotten it to 1 bar below full a couple times - on long regenerative coasts...
    in the morning - after the car has sat for 10-12 hours - the battery will indicate 3-4 bars below... full.

another thing i notice - is the engine starts almost instantly upon morning first start. I'm assuming for warm up for it's normal cycling ... also - i cannot get the car to stay in EV mode for more than a block. I have tried feathering the throttle... etc. but i usually get the double beep and the ICE kicks in. also - the other night - i was in the drive thru picking up dinner - in normal mode -- but EV ... engine was off... i hit EV mode - and got the double beep - it would not let me put it in EV mode -- while sitting still.

sometimes even driving or coasting up to a light with ICE off - below 30 mph - I cannot enter EV mode.

weird? i do not know - assuming it's all in the programming - but not sure why it wont when battery is charged.

10. Adam H

Adam H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It would be nice if the car would give a message explaining why it turned EV off.

11. GerryL

GerryL Master Model Railroader

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Except that you're supposed to be driving, not reading the display.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what kind of mpg's are you guys getting?

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you never look at your display you shouldn't be driving.

14. Adam H

Adam H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ok. The car has a sound system so it could say, "my precious driver, sorry I had to turn off EV because ... "

15. GerryL

GerryL Master Model Railroader

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No, I'm saying you shouldn't be reading a detailed explanation of why the car decided to turn off the EV while you're supposed to be watching for traffic. You may as well be texting if you're reading that much.

16. Adam H

Adam H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A simple message like "speed too high for EV" should not be any more distracting than other indicators in the touch display.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Liftback does have this and a few other messages for rejecting EV. But I'm not familiar with the 'v' displays.