1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Adithya, Jul 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Adithya

Adithya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My car has around 130,000km and running perfectly. I was approached by a guy who offered a servicing plan for the hybrid battery which includes dismantling the battery casing and testing the invidual batteries with a voltmeter and cleaning the coroded parts. I wanted to know if this servicing is recommended for hybrid batteries.

Related video on youtube:

Shenine likes this.
  2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    If it ain't broke don't try to fix it

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing wrong with testing your battery

nothing wrong with cleaning up any corrosion

nothing wrong with putting it on a reconditioner

but never, never, never have anything to do with 'a guy' that approaches you and offers a service.

find a reputable, qualified shop, or learn to diy.

Raygon likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A random guy approaches you and offers you a service........run for your life

5. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To be fair, this could find things like leaking electrolytic before it sets the code, or a weak cell or more. I just finished rebuilding the battery in my daughter's Prius and the electrolytic has been leaking for a while. It left her stranded. There will be corrosion, whether it impacts operation is questionable. The weak cells can be detected by software so no need to visually inspect.

#5 FrankB, Jul 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Raygon likes this.
  6. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What ever happend to word of mouth?

That is how business gets spread isnt it?

That guy could know what he is talking about right?

I was at autozone the other day and there was a couple who needed the battery replaced in their FOB and autozone said they can not open the remote for legal reasons.

I jumped right in and showed them how to open it.

Just because I have a prius, so that random guy can see the OP with a prius and offer help dont you think?

Hey JC, I know random people can maybe sell you an item that you find out is not correct or broken but in the end it is up to you if you want to accept the help or product.

http://www.RedBullet.net

http://www.ProjectLithium.com/?ref=mG0GE

http://www.Pulstar.com

http://www.PlugOutPower.com
    Use code 7373

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was a little underwhelmed watching the video, but maybe not understanding the language raised my chauvanistic side. The guy DID talk a LOT, suspect he could talk that battery back to health.

Raygon likes this.
  8. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recognized some Hindi words and phrases in addition to the English terms such as "battery pack." The exposed areas of the inter-module links did seem to be discolored, but whether that would inhibit the current flow and affect the performance I don't know. Cleaning those links couldn't hurt, but the only practical effect might be to transfer money from the car owner to the "salesman."

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What's often found is that they are tarnished where you can see, and clean shiny metal is revealed under the nuts where it matters, having been properly tightened to a gas-tight metal-to-metal joint, right up until being disassembled.

10. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Until you were approached by this guy you were perfectly happy with the car’s performance. You have no indication of a problem, but now the mere suggestion of one has you worried. Other than here on Prius Chat, how many failed hybrid batteries have you heard about? What kind of reliability ratings do Priuses have? Starting to get my point? I believe it was a famous circus owner who said “there is a sucker born every minute”, let someone else fill that role for the minute you were born.