1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery needs to be replaced, but can I wait until I am able to drive it more frequently?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pancake, May 12, 2023.

1. pancake

pancake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I replaced the small battery in the back and the sensor for the hybrid battery. Now it is time to replace the battery, but it seems to be about a $2k repair from green bean and around $3.7k from the dealer (I wonder if I can get any core recycling rebates..).

If I don't move the car often enough, the hybrid battery will die faster. But, if the hybrid battery needs to be replaced, do I need to rush to get it fixed? I'm guessing yes, because the engine likely wouldn't want to sit still for too long? Or would it be enough to just, turn the car on and off every now and then?

I think I'll be back to regularly drive my car in maybe 8 months (maybe during the summer I can come back if I happen to find an internship here). When my car is functioning, my family would be splitting their driving between their prius and mine.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Generation 3 Prius no problem If you're not driving the car don't fix it save your money You can do way better on a battery than $3,000 holy Christ You just haven't looked into it enough yet and what have you If the car is going to sit parked because of whatever personal issues you've got going on don't fix the hybrid battery just yet now unfortunately for you you bought a 12 volt battery for I don't know what reason you hadn't reached the conclusion that you were going to not be driving the car so there must have been some different thought processes going on a minute ago. Which is what goes on with people If I wasn't going to be driving the car I wouldn't buy a 12 volt nor a hybrid battery I would park the car where it wouldn't get bombarded by tree garbage maybe put a cover on it if I had a carport maybe that would even be better. What have you. Then when I'm ready to begin to think about starting to use the car then I would think about batteries and things like that. If you look on eBay you can find this guy called the hybrid doctor who will send you a balanced rack of modules for about $700 and even send you boxes to return your old ones etc etc etc It takes a slow person that doesn't do this kind of work only a few hours to change out the racks of modules between two cases or a box in one case. But you're not ready for this yet.

3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Running the car for a 20 min drive (or idle) would be good to keep the hybrid battery in as charged a state as its aging life will allow. IMHO I would have it run every 2 weeks for 20 min if possible. Fill up with 91 or 93 octane gas to help out the ICE Engine and plan for an EGR cleaning. How many miles on it? You can use the 8 months to save for a new hybrid battery...and if you plan on keeping the car for 2 more years or so. I would buy a NEW BATTERY.(y)

4. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, Pancake! I don't think you have to rush to get it replaced if you are able to do, at least, a weekly or so drive around with her. (At least 20 miles to get everything up to operating temps and clean out that ice engine.) At least monthly, give that ICE engine an Italian tune up...get her up to operating temps and get somewhere (interstate?) where you can floor the gas peddle for a few miles...helps blow out a lot of carbon and junk from the engine, manifold, and exhaust.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  5. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How do you know you need a new battery? Does it still drive? What's the sensor, temp?

I'm gonna guess that IS the price with the core for both options.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can get a nexcell lithium upgrade pack for $2100 and it doesn't have the self-discharge issues that OEM Prius pack has. You'll also get way better MPG, longer distance in full EV and your AC will run much better.

So in 8 month use my affiliate link and I'll offer you unlimited tech support and I'll also find an installer for you in the region you live in unless you have a friend or family member that wants to help you with it. It's a fairly simple job: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    In general, that is NOT true. The hybrid battery does not fail from non-use like the 12 V one does.
    So.......if you wait TOO long to replace the HV battery, you probably will need another new 12 V too.

You should be able to find an excuse to drive it for an hour or so every week.......right ??

Doug McC likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our drives are once~twice a week now, no hybrid battery problems. Only 96K kms on the odo (seems like for about 6 months now...). The 12 volt is pretty much constantly on a smart charger, coming up on 8 years old and still testing like new. FWIW the majority of our drives are significant, enough to fully warm the engine and give the hybrid battery a workout.

^ Regarding your hybrid battery, how did you come to this conclusion?

Doug McC likes this.
  9. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    DITTO to what Sam Spade 2 and Mendel Leisk said. Regardless of the Chicken Littles on this site, you REALLY CAN drive these cars like most people do and not experience significant problems.

10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sitting is not good for any battery.
    Just DRIVE the car. Drive somewhere for an hour or so.
    Get on the interstate and drive 65pmh for a while.
    That will help the hybrid battery.

11. pancake

pancake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The codes:
    P0A80 "Replace Battery Hybrid Pack"
    P0B3D "Hybrid Battery Voltage Sense "A" Circuit Low"​

For the diagnostics that were done when I had to get the sensor replaced, the test results indicated that some of the hybrid battery cells were slowly failing. I also noticed that the car wouldn't gain full bars of battery. The mpg hadn't been all that great either lately. Under 50.

Odo is over 111k miles

I'm curious about if I can wait for the battery replacement in part because I have been told that the battery needs x miles regularly to maintain the hybrid battery and it is more likely to start to fail if it isn't driven enough. Where my car is, it is a hot climate.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. pancake

pancake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Battery is already dead now... can I just have it driven around the block with the non-hybird system every now and then to maintain it for some-odd months until I replace the hybrid battery?

13. pancake

pancake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This makes sense, but is it safe to fully drive it when the hybrid system isn't engaging?
    Before the hybrid battery died, it was driven maybe once a week or so?

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think the car would move if the the hybrid battery was totally shot.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned Dr Prius app. Couple that with a Carista bluetooth OBD dongle and you can roughly assess where it's at.

Rebound likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the hybrid battery starts the engine. without it, you're out of luck.

if it's still running you can keep driving, and if it won't start, you can try disconnecting the 12v neg for a sec to clear the code and try to start again.

but if you're just trying to maintain the 12v, you'd be better off with a thirty dollar battery maintainer.
    the rest of the car is fine sitting

Grit likes this.
  16. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Pancake,
    If the hybrid battery is totally dead the car won't even start. The Hybrid battery starts the car and the ICE engine runs and turns an inverter that charges the hybrid battery back up. If it is truly dead. I would park it indoors if possible and remove the 12volt battery as well or disconnect it to keep it from dying. You can put the 12v on a self regulating trickle charger to keep it alive until you can buy a new hybrid battery.

17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You have been told wrong.

Unless it sits totally unused for a LONG time, that is NOT true, unless the battery was failing to start with.

The heat is more of a factor than periodic charging.

It IS true for the 12 V battery but that's a different animal.

18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This mostly comes down to your definition of safe.

At some point, the engine won't start. Another possible situation is the hybrid battery "venting" which has been described as a loud bang and a bad smell.

You've probably already experienced extra sluggishness, which is likely to get worse until it just doesn't start. Do you feel safe in it? Some people would, and others would not. Highly subjective.