1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery nightmare for 2005 Prius. Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dlower, Mar 27, 2016.

1. dlower

dlower New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have an 05 Prius I bought used in 09 with 22,000 on it. It has been a low maintenance car generally and it now has 120,000 miles on it.

It died while driving and error codes came on, with the triangle. Had it checked out by a mechanic, he said it indicated hybrid battery issues. I then had a mobile service replace the hybrid battery at a cost of $2000 installed. Car ran perfectly......for about 3 weeks. Since the battery was under warranty he replaced it, but said my car still wouldn't start and he suggested the 12 volt battery needed to be replaced. Had that done at the dealer, they said error code still came on dash (VSC) briefly but then went away. They thought maybe the computer was just "resetting itself." When I came to pick up my car that night, it wouldn't start and error codes were on all over again! Dealership wanted $1700 to tear apart the newly installed hybrid battery to assess and I said no. Then they suggested I call the mobile guy. Long story short, car started and seemingly ran just fine with no codes showing up, so I picked it up without having any more work done. Mobile repair guy says the replacement battery he took out of my car worked perfectly and thinks there is another issue with the car that he thinks the dealership should look more into. The dealership is saying that they can't be responsible for someone else's work and that the battery is definitely the problem. My car ran fine, though I was skeptical cause dealership admitted they never really found the definite source of the problem. Now a month has gone by, codes are lighting up my dash, and car feels sluggish. Dealership's "solution" is to charge me $3400 for a new battery or--of course--sell me a new car. But at 120,000 I feel the car should have lots more life left in it.

Car still currently runs and mobile guy says he will once again replace my battery but is decidedly not happy about it and feels the dealership is passing the buck. He will not, however, remove the battery and give me my money back.

Codes show up as P3000 (hybrid control), P0A80, P3018, P3019.

On a side note, I also had brakes done recently and an oil change in between replacing hybrid battery and 12V battery. Both at the dealership and at JiffyLube, the techs said they found rat feces on the engine. So maybe a rat chewed through a wire somewhere?I need advice on where to go next. Don't want to buy a new car, as I don't want a new car payment right now.

Live in the Olympia, WA area, and dealership is NOT HELPFUL at all.

Thanks in advance.
    D

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your problem is most likely the hybrid battery. $2000 is a lot of money to give to a mobile guy for a refurbished battery, you could probably have paid that or less with assistance from Toyota corporate on a brand new hybrid battery from Toyota.

3. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    D,
    Those codes can only come from the hybrid battery ECU. If your mobile guy hasn't tried replacing the ECU yet he should. We are running into a lot of cars with corrosion inside the ECU connectors which will make for a pore connection to the modules and may explain the intermittent problems. If that checks out all that's left is the battery itself. For what you paid him he should figure out what's going on with your car.

For anybody who reads this, PLEASE don't overpay for rebuilt hybrid batteries!! Greentec and Dorman both sell good rebuilds for $1200 to $1400 and if your considering spending $2000 on a rebuilt battery for your Prius just spend a little more and get a new battery, you'll be glad you did.

uart, kenoarto, dolj and 2 others like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    listen to the voice of experience.^^^

who is the mobile guy? he has certainly been diligent, which is fairly unusual.

maybe go back to the original mechanic who said it was the battery.

5. dlower

dlower New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Toyota dealership wanted $3400 to replace the battery, and they don't do rebuilt. I found another company who was going to charge me $2500, but he was farther away and I would have had to spend quite a bit towing it there. Since the car was not running, I had to consider where I could afford to tow it to. TripleA or my insurance will only pay up to a certain number of miles. The mobile tech was GoVoltage out of Pierce County. He will be replacing my battery this week without charge, but since I'm wary of the problem being solved permanently, I'm going to have a separate mechanic (not the dealer) go through it to see if they can diagnose.

I'm not familiar with the other companies you mention. Maybe my area is just more expensive?

6. dlower

dlower New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ha! Assistance from Toyota corporate? What magic wand to you wave to make that happen. (Maybe I didn't complain high enough up?)

7. dlower

dlower New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

8. dlower

dlower New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    He did not want to take it on......said it's not his area of expertise.....

9. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GreenTec has a shop in Kent which is right up the road from you. Hybrid Auto Repair Shop In Seattle, WA | GreenTec Auto. It looks like their packs with new modules and a 3 year warranty are on sale right now for $2095.00 +tax and install. Their basic rebuilds start at $1100. Dorman batteries can be purchased thru most major auto parts stores.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No magic wand, just contact Toyota via email or their toll free number at Toyota.com. You can also request a dealership representative (usually service manager) to make a request for you. Just have to ask

11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You should know better.

FakeTec does not sell HV Batterys w/ "NEW" modules! The only source of NEW modules comes from Toyota's supplier (possibly still Panasonic). There will also be an exclusivity agreement that essentially states that Panasonic can only make the modules/HV Batteries for Toyota, and will not in any way make/sell alternatives to the OEM product.

Now it may be possible that FakeTec is using "NEW" counterfeit modules coming from China.

FakeTec is not getting NEW modules from Panasonic. Why would Panasonic jeopardize a lucrative contract with Toyota, for pennies from FakeTec?
    Unlikely FakeTec is buying NEW HV Batteries from Toyota, only to paint the case green and supply the HV ECUs.

If you read FakeTec's add carefully, CONTRADICTIONS exist.
    Toyota Prius Gen 2 Hybrid Battery, Unlimited Mileage Warranty | GreenTec Auto
    Product TITLE: 2004–2009 Toyota Prius Generation 2 Hybrid Battery Pack WITH NEW GENERATION CELLS

Warranty: We guarantee Toyota Prius Generation 2 remanufactured batteries rebuilt with 2nd Generation Remanufactured Cells for 36 months, the same as a new battery at a great savings.

How can something be "NEW," yet be made w/ remanufactured components?

FakeTec is trying to lure people w/ a seemingly lower price and same warranty as a NEW HV Battery installed by Toyota, for $2500. A NEW HV Battery installed by anyone other than a Toyota dealership has a one year warranty. When a NEW HV Battery is installed by a Toyota dealer, you get a three year warranty.

Sadly, OP did not know about dealers who sell online, for a substantial savings over the retail walk-in counter pricing. A NEW HV Battery runs $2071; HV ECUs would have to be transfered from old battery to new battery. 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Toyota of San Bernardino Online Parts Store

#11 exstudent, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  12. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    exstudent,

I don't know what Green Tec puts in their "New Module Packs", they may be Chinese knock offs like they get for their Honda packs. I'm also not saying that buying a Green Tec battery would be a good idea but at least they are an established company and they have a 3 year warranty on that battery. I looked at the place the op bought the rebuilt battery from and it was comical. There was a picture of a guy in a gas mask disassembling a Gen 1 pack with blue 55 gallon drums laying around.:ROFLMAO:

You are correct that their are several Toyota dealers online that sell the new Gen 2 batteries for less than $2100 which is why IMHO a rebuilt battery can never be worth more than $1000 no matter where you are. Preparing a new battery is more than just swapping the ECU's but it's still something that most people with basic electrical knowledge can accomplish.

The shipping price is what will get you buying online which is why it's best to find a dealer locally that will sell you a new battery.

Matt