1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery (P0A80): Replace few or all cells?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by newformisc2, Sep 10, 2018.

1. newformisc2

newformisc2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First of all: Sorry if this is a re-post. I tried making a thread several hours ago but a message says it is still awaiting moderation, nothing has been done, and I urgently need some answers.

Before creating this thread I've done some searching but couldn't find the specific information I need, so I'm hoping maybe someone can offer some useful advice.

The "red triangle of death" recently appeared on my dashboard and the error codes I'm getting are P0A80 (Replace Hybrid Battery Pack) and P3018 (Battery Block 8 Becomes Weak). I took it to the nearest dealer (AutoNation Toyota Cerritos) this morning and was quoted $4500 to replace it. After barely resisting the urge to laugh loudly in the rep's face I just said I would be pursuing other options.

After some searching I found a local company which seems legitimate. The name of the company is Hybrid Battery Repair (sorry, I don't have enough posts to include a link but it is easily found via internet search) in North Hollywood, CA, and their Yelp page shows 67 reviews with an average of 5 stars. They offer 2 services, and I am unsure about the difference between them and which would be the preferable option.
    The services are:
    Service 1 - For $795 we will repair the battery pack including replacing the defective cells and other components. Service is complete with a 6 Month Warranty and Pro rated up to a year. Reconditioned Battery packs with extended warranties available.
    Service 2 - For $1,799 we will rebuild the battery pack with reconditioned / Gen III cells (their page specific to the Gen II 2004-2009 Prius says reconditioned cells, while their home page says Gen III cells; I am guessing this is a minor error / typo and they essentially mean the same thing?). Warranty is 12 months, 12,000 miles. Extended warranty available.

I called to ask about the difference between the 2 services they offer but could only make out half of what the guy was saying because his voice was so muffled through the phone. The gist seemed to be that the first, cheaper option is more of a short-term fix and the second is more long-term. He also said - if I heard correctly - that once one battery block has a problem then it won't be long until others start to have problems as well (a balance issue?). Based on this it seems to me that maybe the better thing to do is to go with their more expensive option to replace all cells with reconditioned cells.

I'm hoping someone can help explain the difference between "repair the battery pack" and "replace all the cells with reconditioned cells", and which you think is preferable. I'm guessing the difference is just replacing a few of the cells versus replacing all of them?

Finally, would you trust this company, and do their service prices seem fair to you?

Thank you in advance!

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Neither choice is good because both are using old used modules.
    Your best choices are either a new Toyota battery from a dealer or, if you are DIY, the kit of new cells sold by @2k1Toaster for $1600 delivered. His website link is in my signature. I am not sure if he has any unclaimed kits available.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is not any standard when it comes to any of the terms when it comes to working on batteries.

You are buying a USED battery
    It will be cheaper than a NEW battery.
    It will not last as long as a NEW battery.

It sounds like your choice is working on your failing modules or taking a packful of other USED modules and swapping them in place of your modules.

The correct choice would be to get a NEW pack which will fix it long term. The warranty, however long or short will be a moot point. I expect NEW cells will last as long as he original pack if not longer.

The other options will be a crapshoot. At least you'll be covered during the warranty period. After that you are in your own.

As for NEW, $4500 is kinda high. I'd call around. Even ask the North Hollywood guys what they would charge you. I would guess their cost for a pack would be somewhere around ~$2100 + labor to install.

#3 ericbecky, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've got an entire container arriving end of this month. 75%-ish is sold but I have somewhere around 40-50 units available to ship beginning of October. Assuming the ship doesn't sink in the Pacific or CBP decides to melt them.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    20ft container? How big are these battery packages to have 200 of them in an entire container?

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can't stack 'em which makes them very low density cargo. But I've also got some copper wire, UPSs, and a few tons of lead acid batteries in there. Also have some flat-pack packaging scattered over the top bits. I'm starting to look into framing of wooden cartons around the pallets so I can stack much more of them. As long as I can send them back and forth it should add too much to the cost.

Prodigyplace likes this.