1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Performance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jwleonard, May 31, 2019.

1. jwleonard

jwleonard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius with 118,000 miles and don't currently have any codes for the battery. However, I have known for some time the hybrid battery performance has been degrading. It is often low (1 purple bar) after sitting for 12 hours or so even though it was in the green when last parked. Of course, it runs on engine power only until it recharges during the first few minutes of driving; it also recharges and discharges quickly.

I finally decided it was worth looking into and connected my scan tool. With the current charge at 25% I found a min block voltage at 14.98 and a max at 15.21.
    01 - 15.11
    02 - 15.21
    03 - 15.10
    04 - 15.08
    05 - 15.05
    06 - 15.06
    07 - 15.13
    08 - 15.03 (this one was flip-flopping to 14.98)
    09 - 15.16
    10 - 15.08
    11 - 14.98
    12 - 15.04
    13 - 15.10
    14 - 15.15

Based on what I have read here it sounds like I don't have bad modules but probably the individual cells inside need to be balanced. Am I understanding this correctly and if so what is the best charger & setup currently available to do this?

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you know if your 12v battery is healthy?
    I'd double check that first.

As far as chargers, Hybrid automotive is the one that supports this forum.
    Somewhere around $600 or so.

Or save that money and put it towards a new pack.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your right at the spot where a good discharge/charge up of the battery will probably get you another year or so. Go to hybridautomotive.com and buy there manual charger/discharger which includes the basic charger and the discharger using light bulbs as loads. I bought mine more than 2 years ago when I was at the same mileage and seeing the exact same thing you are. Right now just did the second discharge/charge and it looks like a new battery again. The first one a year and a half ago woke it right up too. If the hybrid battery throws a
    code or the dreaded triangle of death its too late it will need a rebuild.

Read this long but important to you thread:

Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat

Good luck.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. jwleonard

jwleonard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the responses.

The aux battery has been replaced within the last year; it shows good voltage after sitting overnight and holds a full load without issue.

I looked at that charge/discharge system from Hybridautomotive and this being a spare vehicle I wouldn't put that kind of money into specialized equipment that is only good for it. I should have been more specific, I'm more interested in removing the battery and working to balance the individual modules one at a time. I understand this will take longer but downtime isn't an issue for this vehicle but I would like to fix & keep if possible. However, $600 just to get a year or so isn't much bang for the buck and I would replace the pack before going that route.

I saw a system from one of the posts here that looked more like a computer power supply for one module at a time but wasn't sure if it's the most current and best option. Any advice on that?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lots of good threads here using a hobby charger to balance individual cells. all the best!(y)

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any of the hobby chargers would work.
    $100-$300

At one module a day you should finish in just under a month (28 modules).
    Plus time to remove/reinstall.

Your modules don't look too bad at this point. But I'd you ever need replacements feel free to give me a call.

Skibob likes this.